Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my wifes xt6 has no heat, please help

yes i searched, and it worked so well, i found nothing.

my wifes xt6 has a good heater core, and both hoses leading to it are hot as can be. my hot to cold selector moves, and operates the white plastic piece it is attached to, but no heat blows out of the vents. the blower does work though.

how does the xt6 heater work, my core is hot and only cold air blows, should i take the dash apart and look for a broken vac solenoid, or just wire a trap door shut or something?

i've never had a xt6 dash apart, so i need some advise.

thanks

oh ya, my wife is starting to hate subarus now:confused:

Drive an old car, it will have faults.

There are a few ways that you can loose heat.

1- The heater control cable has come off the lever at the heater box. It should be obvious to see if you look under the passenger dash side of the car.

2- Does the engine reach operating temperiture. If it doesnt the t-stat may be stuck open. A bad radiator cap may contribute to it.

3- The most hideous, low coolant level. One can be its just low, on the bad side it can be a head gasket.

I'm voitng for #1

nipper

sorry for my long winded post, but its none of the above.

the white plastic adjuster by the throttle pedal (that is controlled by the cable)moves, im thinking its broken where i cant see it. im wondering if xt6 uses vac to move a flap in the heater system, like my other ea82s and ea81s.

my core is hot and has good flow through

Subaru heaters use a mixing door. This mixes hot and cold air to give you the temp that you want. The good side to this is that its simple, the bad side is that it is hard sometimes to get a good temp (the controller has a heat spot.

Now since you see the cable moving the arm of the mixing door, disconnect that cable and move the arm by hand. There are a few possabilities here. One is that the cable is out of adjustment and not moving the door enough. This can be due to a broken or missing retaining clamp on the cable housing at either end of the cable. The cable should move as soon as the handle moves. Next if you move the lever under the dash by hand, you should be able to hear the door "thunk" inside the heater box.

Subarus have used cables for temp, and vacume motors (or newer subarus electric motors) to control direction of the air. If you can move the air from heat to def to dash then those are fine. By default if those doors have a issue the car goes to defrost only mode.

Now you say the heater core gets hot, but how can you tell? The inlet and outlet hose is not going to tell you. What feels hot to the hand, may not be hot enough to produce heat.

Also when was the last time the system was flushed and serviced?

I am sorry about not reading your post like you think, but i DID read it, and have learned in 20 years to ask direct questions, as sometimes people leave out details.

Like i said before, how is the cooling system?

ya, i was hoping grossgary
hello?

we have the FSM's available over at the XT site though. you could down load them and look, but i'm sure you're not interested in all that. i would definitely search at the xt site, maybe someone else has experienced this before. it'll be identical to an 87+ XT and should be the same style set up as an EA82.

check into this, see if it helps:

the clips for the control arms for the heater doors. They are a white plastic that look like a CLAM shell kinda with a plug on back that snaps into the door arms. Then you adjust the control that runs off the elec motor by snapping the arm in the right place with the door. So you would push the defrost switch and the motor would move the control then you open the door and snap the arm into the CLAM style holder.

FYI folks

The newer styleclip which they call a connector is Subaru part number