Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I got offered 2 Dodge Chargers for 2K

I was out shooting photos of old cars for an art project and remembered where two chargers were sitting in someones yard. One is a '66 with a non- original 400 and a 727 auto. The other is an original 383 car with 727 but its very rotted. My buddy and I are thinking of getting them over winter break and using the rotted one to make one good one. The '66 needs new floors and some carb and distributor work..as well as other work to a car that has been sitting dormant for 2 years. Ive done the math and figure if i could do all the work over winter break i would be left with about a 5 thousand dollar car as well as a parts car worth a few hundred. At that point i could either sell the chargers...or keep the good one an sell the rotted one and my IROC camaro. What do you guys think about this plan. I figured 2 grand was a pretty good price for such cars. Though i will be trying to talk him down to 1500.

Before you do ANYTHING with either one, Google "mopar fender tag decoder" and enter in the stuff on the fender tag of each one... Make sure neither of them have something special that makes them worth mega $$$... my '68 Polara has a U11 code, which means it was special ordered, so it's possible it's one of a kind, or at least one of very few..... Good news is that you can damn near get every panel for a B body aftermarket, so rust is not a problem. (MY Polara on the other hand, I can hardly get anything for it... so I've had to fabricate parts from scratch)

Well my buddy backed out of the equation so it looks like either i dont bother at all or i go back and check out the 66 really carefully and see if its something i should consider for myself. Ill just not bother with the 67 since i think my parents would murder me and do a good job of hiding the body if i brought home two non-op vehicles.

True but is a 66 Charger a classic? I'd lump it in with a 66 Rambler. Wasn't even that popular when new. Too bad neither is a 68 or 69.

Where have u been lol. Go on ebay and try to find a 68-70 charger for under 5 grand. And even if you find one for under its a basket case. Their prices are going through the roof for good examples. Even the 66-67 style is starting to catch a following. Ive been watching the prices of those rise as well. Mopars are hot right now.

Where have u been lol. Go on ebay and try to find a 68-70 charger for under 5 grand. And even if you find one for under its a basket case. Their prices are going through the roof for good examples. Even the 66-67 style is starting to catch a following. Ive been watching the prices of those rise as well. Mopars are hot right now.

Where did I state the 68-70 models are not collectable? I was a teenager during the 60s and when I graduated in 66 there was exactly one 66 Charger running around town. Actually that lone example and a yellow one I saw sitting behind a barn in TN a few years ago are the only two I have ever seen. Nobody wanted them in the 60s and that hasn't changed. But beauty and value is in the eye of the beholder and if in your mind a 66 Charger is a hot car, go for it.

>DSCN01340011.jpg

Only real reason I replied was to post this photo of my Dodge Demon.

Oh did i missinterepret? I thought u meant that the 68 and 69 chargers were undesirable. Did u mean the 68-69 ramblers though? As far as the 66 goes its not my favorite designed muscle car but it certainly is different. I dont remember ever seeing one (let alone two) in person till i saw these ones. Ive been following the prices on Ebay and they seem to be going for more in worse condition than this one is in. Ill look into it further when i get home.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. /6 with a floor-mounted 3-speed. 30K miles. My wife's grandparent's car. Bought new and garaged in 1990 when they stopped driving it. Took about $1500 and a few weeks work to get it back on the road. Gas tank, brakes, radiator, stuck valves...all the usual stuff that goes bad from sitting for 17 years. But absolutely no rust and the interior is as new.

But absolutely no rust and the interior is as new.

No rust? WOW! Those cars are infamous for having factory installed quarter panel rot! That's a rare bird indeed. And quite the pretty one at that! I guess all those years in the garage are responsible for that. The /6 is like THE toughest motor too!