Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

prevent rust Brat rear shock mounts pics how to etc

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 29 November 2007 - 03:07 PM

this is how I plan to prevent rust of the Brat rear shock mounts, with pics here:
http://www.ultimates...00&ppuser=14357

First off, I removed all dust, dirt, rocks from the rear part of the shock mount hollows on my CALI Brat. Next, I applied POR-15 rust paint over everything. Then I cut cardboard patterns for the foam packing stuff, to stuff in the hollows. Trimmed to fit so they are wedged in the hollows. Stuffed in, and seam sealed all around.
Next, cut trimmed and applied rubber membrane stuff over that, using seam sealer to attach, and seal off any gaps. Also seam sealed over the factory seams in that area. Then applied another coat of POR-15 over the membrane, and the seam sealer, then undercoated once dry

This should prevent any salt spray, etc crap to go behind the hollows which is what causes the rust.

#2 Virrdog

Virrdog

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 590 posts
  • NE Ohio

Posted 29 November 2007 - 03:43 PM

I noticed this when doing the rear shocks on my wagon. I was thinking of shooting grease back there or something so the bolt tips wouldn't crud up.

#3 cobcob

cobcob

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 03:53 PM

Fancy!
I need to spend a good weekend with my angle grinder and MIG welder to give my '82 Brat some love...
Hopefully I can find me some new rocker panels in case the old ones are worse than they look...

#4 Reveeen

Reveeen

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Eastern Canada

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:02 PM

I suspect that the mounts are not as rigid as they could be, and the mounts themselves flex, cracking any kind of applied coating, allowing rust to start in virtually all situations.

#5 edrach

edrach

Charter member OFRT

• Members
  • 12,324 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:27 PM

A nice write-up; you should submit it to the USRM if you haven't already. Also, a good application of never-seeze compound on the bolts when mounting the shocks will go a long toward future problems with removing the bolts to replace the shocks.

#6 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:39 PM

A nice write-up; you should submit it to the USRM if you haven't already. Also, a good application of never-seeze compound on the bolts when mounting the shocks will go a long toward future problems with removing the bolts to replace the shocks.

yep, did put antisieze on the bolts, and also cleaned the threads of the bolts, and the nuts with tap and die set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users