Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Drop in swaps for Phase 1 EJ25

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crazyhorse001

crazyhorse001

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • Greeneville

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:40 PM

After carefully considering my options after my HG failure on my wife's '97 Leggy with a 2.5 phase1. I'm wondering what engines will plug & play. It'll be easier to swap engines than to go the whole HG & rebuild route.
The original engine smoked a bit, and had significant piston slap.

C'mon y'all, what are my options on this OBDII equipped Leggy? WITHOUT having to rewire the whole car.

#2 FSRBIKER

FSRBIKER

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • Oak Ridge, NJ

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:22 PM

I KNOW FOR A FACT a 2002 2.5 from an Impreza will not plug and play. I then ended up buying a Jap replacement engine for $950 to my door, installed new head gaskets for piece of mind and it's been great ever since.

After carefully considering my options after my HG failure on my wife's '97 Leggy with a 2.5 phase1. I'm wondering what engines will plug & play. It'll be easier to swap engines than to go the whole HG & rebuild route.

C'mon y'all, what are my options on this OBDII equipped Leggy? WITHOUT having to rewire the whole car.

#3 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,298 posts
  • WV

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:35 PM

this is all over the site, start searching and reading up. what are you looking to do - keep the EJ25 or swap to an EJ22? rebuild or used?

if rebuilt - just call CCR and they'll take care of you. if you're looking for used, start searching the forum all of this information is readily available.

#4 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,479 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:26 PM

The EJ22 from an automatic 95 Legacy will swap right in. Must be an automatic donor car as the only the Automatics had EGR in 95. This is pretty well documented on the board.

#5 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,075 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:13 PM

you can use 95 auto, 97, 98 EJ22 engines, and 96 auto with the y-pipe, (first piece of the exhaust). 95 and 96 are non-interferrence engines. 97 and 98 will have valve (maybe piston) damage if the timing belt brakes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users