Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Drop in swaps for Phase 1 EJ25

After carefully considering my options after my HG failure on my wife's '97 Leggy with a 2.5 phase1. I'm wondering what engines will plug & play. It'll be easier to swap engines than to go the whole HG & rebuild route.

The original engine smoked a bit, and had significant piston slap.

C'mon y'all, what are my options on this OBDII equipped Leggy? WITHOUT having to rewire the whole car.

I KNOW FOR A FACT a 2002 2.5 from an Impreza will not plug and play. I then ended up buying a Jap replacement engine for $950 to my door, installed new head gaskets for piece of mind and it's been great ever since.

After carefully considering my options after my HG failure on my wife's '97 Leggy with a 2.5 phase1. I'm wondering what engines will plug & play. It'll be easier to swap engines than to go the whole HG & rebuild route.

C'mon y'all, what are my options on this OBDII equipped Leggy? WITHOUT having to rewire the whole car.

this is all over the site, start searching and reading up. what are you looking to do - keep the EJ25 or swap to an EJ22? rebuild or used?

if rebuilt - just call CCR and they'll take care of you. if you're looking for used, start searching the forum all of this information is readily available.

you can use 95 auto, 97, 98 EJ22 engines, and 96 auto with the y-pipe, (first piece of the exhaust). 95 and 96 are non-interferrence engines. 97 and 98 will have valve (maybe piston) damage if the timing belt brakes.