Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 rx rear wiper ?

it should be the same style connectors as the front wipers, two screws holing on the wiper blade. i suggest that you go to your local parts place and spend a bit to get the bosch blades, i think that the 17" and 19" blades come with an adaptor that you bolt to the arm that lets you use the more common hook type blade attachents....

good luck.

Yeah - Bosch has the style connector you need. They aren't expensive for the regular Bosch MicroEdge - like $6 for each blade. Was $18 total for my Legacy for blades all around.

And they do work quite well - not crappy like the Trico's...

GD

yeah, tricos are ok if you really cant afford anything else, just never use roberk blades. absolute trash. i swear by bosch personally. i like the icons, but at $20 each, i have to wait till im working again. at least they last about 18 months for me, lol, worth the extra $$.

screwy wipers ....

on the last rx of mine, it took the same as the front!

used napa yellow box cheap wipers with the enclosed adapter kit

on the ski wagon i use trico wonders, no metal frame, just plastic blade, work great, no way for ice to build up on them

again same one used on all 3

• 5 years later...

Decided to dig up an old post because I can't find relevant information.

My '88 RX's rear wiper has the screw-type arm and requires an adapter (currently has the pin type), as does my XT's front. The wipers themselves are worn out and blindingly bright (the paint wore away long ago), so I want to replace them. The trouble is, the wipers are pressed onto the adapter and therefore unremovable; the entire unit (wiper plus adaper) needs replaced. The adapters with sub-19" Bosch wipers don't fit (too narrow, and also different screw pattern), and the 21" Bosch wiper I procured didn't come with any adapters (WTF?). Wal*Mart, O'Reilly, Advance, and Auto Zone don't have adapters available separately.

Another funny item of note: it seems that different wiper application guides list different sizes for the RX's rear wiper: some say 19", others say 21".

So, any suggestions as to where I could acquire the correct adapter? The Anco 48-08 looks like it may do the trick, but I can't find any info on it (particularly the pin size and/or screw spacing) and it's not available locally.

What I've discovered so far:

There are two side saddle/pin-type wiper arm pin sizes: 3/16" (for smaller blades), and 1/4" (for >20" blades). The common one is 3/16"; the one on the XT and RX rear is of course the 1/4". So, the ANCO 48-08 adapter won't fit because it's the 3/16" variety (though it'll fit the RX's 7 mm front arms, if you prefer side saddle mounts to J-hooks). Because the width of the wiper arm mounting point is 1 cm, using the common 7 mm bayonet-style mount is also out of the question (without using a grinder and drilling new screw holes, anyway). I'm still trying to find a suitable solution; I'll post something should I ever find one.

So apparently, we're not the only ones having a difficult time sourcing new wiper blades for older vehicles:

While searching, I came across several RV enthusiast forums that use the same style wiper arm. While some blades are still available with the correct fittings at RV/truck shops, they are hard to find and expensive, so a good number of people have purchased ANCO 48-17 adapters.

I ordered a set of the adapters (pack of 2, used to convert 9.5 mm straight wiper arm w/ screw mounts to universal J-hook), installed one on my RX, and it's excellent: I can use pretty much any blade on my car with no problems.

The only potential issue is on the XT, because it has that little wiper ramp thing. The adapter and new blade will fit, but I'm not 100% sure how it'll perform over time. I guess I'll find out.