Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help-Cour 'd Alene-transport assist/storage for winter/? 74 DL coming east

Car in Cour d' Alene,needs to get to CT or near NYC drop off.

1974 DL four door , ran when parked in the springtime but has a knock. Manual shift so it can be 2nd gear/starter engaged moved somewhat with a healthy battery,if needed.

Currently sitting covered with snow. Car either needs to be transported or stored kind of soon. The owner has a really nice tow dolley for $900 so if there's someone willing to do it I'd cover the dolley and pay gas up front to have that car and dolley brought here.

Or,you buy the dolley if it pleases you. I'll even donate $100 towards it for you , and gas $ of course.

Or,storage untill I can get regular transport for it.

I'd rather not have to buy a tow dolley right now,but if it works all around I'll do it and turn it over or tuck it away. Guy like me can get himself in serious trouble with one of those things hanging around.:-\

1974 is really in great shape as far as the body goes. Bumpers look crisp and clean. Would rather see if here in great shape than dinged up,salted to death from coming across the top of the USA in wintertime,like my '73 did. All respect to Pat and his effort that escapes words but if there's an option to store it SAFELY untill spring I'd be all for that.

Transport can be arranged fairly quickly. One guy was just by at that same location on Wed. and offered to take it on his next run,probably in 2-3 weeks. If that's the case I probably don't need any help. But I haven't locked that down yet.

Thanks for any help.

if it gets really tight let me know.you'd have to buy a good tarp but i could put it next to the house.do you think he would haul it over here?i do have the ability to go and get it,just would need to borrow his dolly,or have you rent one.cheers, brian

if it gets really tight let me know.you'd have to buy a good tarp but i could put it next to the house.do you think he would haul it over here?i do have the ability to go and get it,just would need to borrow his dolly,or have you rent one.cheers, brian

hmmmm,let me check. Meanwhile he hasn't called back about trying to start it again and see if it'll run somewhat. Can always use 2nd gear with the starter to get it loaded.

Thanks guys! I'll buy a freakin tow bar,that's plenty easy enough swing. Man,I know I should fly out and haul it back but there's such little spare time around here lately.

I'll post new info as fast as I can.

Thanks Shawn,you're the best ! :grin:

Rather than spout excuses.....still waiting to hear back about it being able to run or not. Also just got some credit card crap sorted out. Kids,work,no sleep .....ok so I WILL spout excuses :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Updateski !

Talked to the guy on Friday. Car is looking extremely good,he says. I'm totally looking forward to seeing just how nice this car is as he describes it as 89k -certainly looking original - VERY clean,showing no rust,crisp lines,etc.... He never really took much time to look it over other than snapping some distant shots for Craigslist when I snatched it up. OK,so this is history,not an update but here's where I'm at now.

He had the starter rebuilt for only $35 and before sundown came he saw that the f/p was pumping fuel. Had also tossed in a new battery for me.

So that means it'll at least creep with 2nd gear and the starter only.But he seems to think it'll start and run pelnty good enough to drive onto a trailer,etc.

He got this car in a lot deal/estate type thing. He was told the engine had a knock but never really ran it much. His thoughts from his recent views of the car are that it sure looks to be ready to drive. I was suppsed to call him on Saturday but had to get caught up on sleep in a major way. So hopefully I'll call him later today and he'll have good news.

OK,I know it's a long shot at but I just want to again see at this time who's available and for what sort of situation. If there's another "NorthWet" - Pat P. who'll tow dolley my little puppy to me I'll pay as good as I did with Pat or a little better since gas is now double what it was then.

Grab it and tuck it away from the elements for me? I'll pay for that too. But keep in mind I still have to pay the big transport chunk come spring so I don't want to pay too much for the winter holding. But I'd hate to see someone like Shawn make a long run like that. I'll only have to cover him that mich more for gas. At a certain point you're better off paying now for the transport Co. to grab it. So again,within reason,if someone can conveniently help out that's great. But I don't want you guys trekking over snowy mountain ranges for hundreds of miles for this....please.;)

So,run by me what can be done and we'll weigh it all out against calling the transport co and getting my Christmas present in February.

Thanks for any help and please don't anyone feel obligated,etc......it's the winter season,travel gets hairy,etc.etc. and it's just a little old car.

Cheers !

i have a spot next to the house that if tarped properly could last a while.and i am about 30 miles away.i cannot bring it to you,as diesel fuel would kill you.however, i do have plenty of time off this time of year .a tow dolly on a nicer day,a nice tarp, would do it for me.we can talk about any type of payment later.i prefer parts though:grin:

would be able to get to it directly after the new year.pm me and let me know.cheers, brian

i have a spot next to the house that if tarped properly could last a while.and i am about 30 miles away.i cannot bring it to you,as diesel fuel would kill you.however, i do have plenty of time off this time of year .a tow dolly on a nicer day,a nice tarp, would do it for me.we can talk about any type of payment later.i prefer parts though:grin:

would be able to get to it directly after the new year.pm me and let me know.cheers, brian

OK,thanks,I'll be glad to pay up in cash and parts,whatever it takes. Bottom line is the shippers will haul it to me for around $850-900 so I'll be happy to cover you as long as it's worth it.

Talk to you soon.