Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Freeze up problem with Weber carb

We experienced the icing problem with the Weber first hand today. Jrach was driving my weberized Brat and I was driving our Impreza on the way to the Xmas tree run today.

Ten miles from Enumclaw Jrach pulled over since the car was running like crap. We got it started again and "limped" on to E with me following. I could see the black smoke from the exhaust whenever it started to run too rich; I could smell it too!:eek:

Jrach pulled into a minimart about two miles from E and popped the hood. The left side of the weber's primary barrel was completely white with frost!. Drove the rest of the way to E and left the Brat at McD's and used the Impreza for our tree run.

No problem on the way home since the temperature was just a few degrees warmer (rain instead of snow:mad: ).

Anyway, I'll have to scour the PAP yards to find that plastic air deflector that will keep our weber from freezing over again.l

We experienced the icing problem with the Weber first hand today. Jrach was driving my weberized Brat and I was driving our Impreza on the way to the Xmas tree run today.

Ten miles from Enumclaw Jrach pulled over since the car was running like crap. We got it started again and "limped" on to E with me following. I could see the black smoke from the exhaust whenever it started to run too rich; I could smell it too!:eek:

Jrach pulled into a minimart about two miles from E and popped the hood. The left side of the weber's primary barrel was completely white with frost!. Drove the rest of the way to E and left the Brat at McD's and used the Impreza for our tree run.

No problem on the way home since the temperature was just a few degrees warmer (rain instead of snow:mad: ).

Anyway, I'll have to scour the PAP yards to find that plastic air deflector that will keep our weber from freezing over again.l

Ed, I'll be hitting the local PnP Wednesday for a few little doodads, I'll keep an eye out for ya;) .

My old Blazer had a crossover pipe that ran hot coolant past the carb, and when it got blocked, I had an icing problem. Airplanes have carb heaters, too.

I wonder if you could make your own version of that by re-routing the return line from the heater core past the carb, maybe with a copper coil or two near the carb to transfer some heat to it. Just a (probably lame) idea.

My old Blazer had a crossover pipe that ran hot coolant past the carb, and when it got blocked, I had an icing problem. Airplanes have carb heaters, too.

I wonder if you could make your own version of that by re-routing the return line from the heater core past the carb, maybe with a copper coil or two near the carb to transfer some heat to it. Just a (probably lame) idea.

or you could use the little 7mm hose that connects the manifold to the blocks water jacket. copper tubing coiled should be enough to stop it.

IF, finding a way to direct warm air winds up being too difficult, this would actually work rather well. Chances are it would be easier to route warm air there instead, but hot water would work just as well.. Especially if you could wrap the little heater coil and the carb both in a "blanket" of sorts.

So, No Lame! :clap: