Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to Lower Your EA81

For those looking to upgrade the handling of their Gen 2 cars, the route is fairly simple. By using factory parts and the upgrade path forged by FHI we can lower our cars a few inches without hurting the ride too badly. Mine is 4WD but this should also apply to 2WD cars, but the effects will be less in the front.

FRONT: For the front, find some EA81T front springs as they are almost .5" shorter with a slightly higher spring rate.

IMG_4566.jpg

Then source some 2WD front struts since the miminum length is over an inch shorter than a 4WD strut as well as having a longer stroke (always a good thing for McPherson strut suspensions). Make sure that you install the strut tops so they match your drivetrain.

IMG_4590.jpg

Thats it, we're done! Put the new parts back in!

REAR: The rear is almost easier. Again, find a set of 2WD rear struts and install them.

IMG_4563.jpg

To lower the rear, just unbolt the trailing arm and the small bolt on the bottom of the torsion bar housing. Hammer out the torsion bar ONE AT A TIME and reclock by one notch. Two is possible, but unless you remove your bumpstops the ride will suffer.

IMG_4554.jpg

Finished!

NOTE: I lowered my wagon by one notch in the rear and it still contacts the bump stops on some bumps. I trimmed them and the ride improved, so you can fix the problem by trimming an inch or so off the rear bump stop.

IMG_4595.jpg

Galen, now that you did that, it needs an alignment. The 3 bolts that you took out of the trailing arms are actually the rear toe adjustments. So, better get on that whole alignment thing. I gotta do the back end of my coupe for the same reason. My rear toe is out of spec and its a real b**** to adjust it:rolleyes:

Galen, now that you did that, it needs an alignment. The 3 bolts that you took out of the trailing arms are actually the rear toe adjustments. So, better get on that whole alignment thing. I gotta do the back end of my coupe for the same reason. My rear toe is out of spec and its a real b**** to adjust it:rolleyes:

You sure it ain't the bearing? That's always been my case. That or bent control arm.

I could have sworn the rear was non adjustable. How do you manage to adjust the rear?

loosen the three bolts holding torsion bar arm to control arm and move hub assembly around..... takes some practice to get it right.

• 12 years later...
6 hours ago, 573417h said:

Thread dredge here.. any chance of getting pics reuploaded for the 1st post. Thanks

I don't have the photos anymore, the hard drive was damaged years ago.

@franbev this thread has nothing to do with the factory height adjustment.

• Like 1

It's quite simple to lower an EA81, I typed the instructions out in the first post.  The pictures would be nice to reference, but it's literally remove and replace the 4WD struts/shocks with 2WD parts.  Re-clocking the torsion bar is the most difficult part and even that is quite straight forward, even if it takes some finesse to free the bar/trailing arm assembly from the torsion bar tube and rear height adjustment mechanism.