Ultimate Subaru Message Board

removing stuck/sheared bolt ABS sensors

anyone have much luck removing stuck ABS sensors with a sheared off bolt head? doesn't look like much room for a drill but i have a right angle attachment.

once the sensor is off are the bolts usually frozen in the hubs too? i have new ABS sensors so i don't mind ruining the old ones to get the bolt out.

they are very easy to replace, but i really don't want to pull the hub. you can actually replace them without even jacking the car up, just turn the wheel and reach around the tire from the front of the car. a couple minute job literally (minus the rust of course).

thanks for the offer john, i already have two new sensors. they wear so much (maybe it's just this area, snow and such) that i wanted brand new ones on mine.

Gary, I drilled mine out easily to a 1/4" bolt. There is room on the outside (the tire side) for a nut. The problem I had and which you won't face is how to get the sensor itself out. Mine was really stuck and I'm sure I damaged it prying on it. It went back in tightly, too.