Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is there a demand for bolt pattern adaptors?

Agreed. If someone designed and made a concept for some CNC'ed AL hubs I would pay for that. I'd probably pay up to $500 for a set F/R that was similar to the crossbreed performance kit (his prices are insane).

Who still has drums? Its such a F'n easy mod I'm supprised there are still Subarus running around without them!

Every ea82T at the J-yard is another set that are going bye-bye. I'd love to buy every set I see, but I don't have the money. It's easy but getting harder and harder to find the parts.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll see what I can find for inversing the direction of the 4x140 studs. I too would love to have the adaptor be only .50-.75" thick. Its definately an engineering puzzle. I was able to find what cars used what wheel studs, and I am going to make the option when you order the adaptors, of having 12x1.25thread for those that want to keep subaru things, or also a 1/2 x 20 option for those that want standard lug nuts.

Agreed about the bearing wear for sure, if there is any way around that bad offest I will try it.

keep in mind we dont want to be digging into the caliper either

OK, so I think I am going to be scratching my head for a few minutes.

I drew up a quick drawing of what the conventional style wheel adaptor would look like.. Grinding or machining the heads of wheel studs isnt a big deal. My concern is how thin the metal will be between the knurls on the 5x100 pattern to the hole needed to fit a 19mm socket on the 4x140 nuts.

wheeladptr1.jpg

OK, I did some adjustments using different wheel studs, and using an unconventional pattern (removing 4x140 studs from hubs).. and having "steps" on the backside of the adaptor so it can fit into the holes on the hub properly and be centered, as well as have the inside center on the center of the hub. Kinda hard to explain without a picture or something. Lets just say I was able to tinker with the following bolt patterns:

5x100

4x100

5x5.5

6x139.7 (By far this is the easiest)

Figure either 3/4" or 5/8" on the offset.

Most importanly I should be able to keep the adaptor to only 1 piece rather than having a double-layer thing (not desirable if you ask me) all I need to do is check clearance on the back side of the wheel hubs on a couple of my subarus tomorrow.

-Mike

*edit* ok looking at pricing, to keep the price down on the material to make these out of, your choices are A36 Hot rolled steel (36,300psi yield) or 6061-T6 aluminum (40,000 psi yield), keep in mind that the mild steel would be more elastic (more forgiving to "crashing into things", but by far heavier). Due to raw materials cost & availability the "outside profile" on the aluminum version will be sort of squarish/round (making them out of a 6x6 piece) where as steel ones would be 100% circle (for 6x139.7 you can only use steel). On the otherhand thats a lot of unsprung rotating mass added which is probably going to be more of an issue. I NEED YOUR INPUT! IMHO I feel the aluminum would be a better choice and just not be able to do 6x139.7 (seeing as people drill out their hubs for that one anyway)

I was looking at my coworker's Mazda 6 today.....and just at a glance, the wheels look like they use much more offset than subaru ones. and the bolt pattern appears, at a glance, to be 5x114.3.

could mean if you use that bolt circle, and mazda-fitment wheels, you may be able to get away with thicker spacers. more research on that front will be required.

as to what material to be used. I think the question you want to ask there, is what crowd you're marketing this to. the offroad guys will care more about strength than rotating mass.....while the exact opposite is true (to a point....I'll keep a little weight to keep the wheel from falling off) of the street guys.

any possibility of making some of each?

GLoyale.....I LOVE the adapter bolting to the hub idea! that's brilliant. you could make the adapter hub-centric, and then bolt it on. just have to make sure there's clearance between the hub itself and the caliper.

OK, hears the deal.

I took the needed measurements from the front 4x140 hubs

your choices are:

adaptors to 5x4.5 (5x114.3)

or

adaptors to 5x100 provided you grind off your hubcentrics. Unless I make these things 1.25" thick, lets just say there's no way around that

(6x139.7 & other 4 lug patterns are not a problem).

Let me know what you want me to make

also...

12x1.25, 12x1.5, 1/2x20

which thread size is most wanted?

OK, hears the deal.

I took the needed measurements from the front 4x140 hubs

your choices are:

adaptors to 5x4.5 (5x114.3)

or

adaptors to 5x100 provided you grind off your hubcentrics. Unless I make these things 1.25" thick, lets just say there's no way around that

(6x139.7 & other 4 lug patterns are not a problem).

Let me know what you want me to make

also...

12x1.25, 12x1.5, 1/2x20

which thread size is most wanted?

I'll grind my hubs for sure if I can get 5x100 lugs on there. Thinner is better. I would want threads to be the same a other subie studs. 12x 1.25?1.5? whichever is stock suby.

I'll grind my hubs for sure if I can get 5x100 lugs on there. Thinner is better. I would want threads to be the same a other subie studs. 12x 1.25?1.5? whichever is stock suby.

Stock subaru is 12x1.25

Keep in mind everyone that rear drums are not hubcentric, however rear disc brakes are. (The ONLY benefit there is to rear drums, LOL)

Gloyale, send me a PM if you are for sure interested in a set if you dont mind grinding your hubcentrics. I am pretty sure otherwise I can keep the depth down to 5/8" thick

If you could make this piece below with either the 5x100 or 5x114 would probally be the best.

Id be interested in these but not adapters.

2391065_20_full.jpg

So you are not or cannot make them like this but rather an adapter that bolts to this piece or is it not possible with the mounting bolt placement?

Keep in mind everyone that rear drums are not hubcentric, however rear disc brakes are. (The ONLY benefit there is to rear drums, LOL)

AHH.... but for rear drums, it wouldn't be possible for bolt to protrude "into" the drum to hold the adapter on. And actually, I don't know if there is enough clearance for that on Discs either. Gotta go look.

Back to the thickness issue to cover the factory studs.

judging from the pic of the 4x100 setup above it sure does look like the bolts that are used to bolt the hub to the disc are the same... what if you used a stud similar to an exhaust stud then put a lock nut in the recess in the hub. then all you would have the extra bit of stud sticking out which would become the wheel studs... follow me?

i think somebody else touched on this before...?

AHH.... but for rear drums, it wouldn't be possible for bolt to protrude "into" the drum to hold the adapter on. And actually, I don't know if there is enough clearance for that on Discs either. Gotta go look.

Back to the thickness issue to cover the factory studs.

there appears to be a little less than half an inch of clearance between where the caliper would be with brand new brake pads, and the back of the hub where the wheel stud seats. From what I could measure with my calipers, I have .475" to work with

Zefy, unfortunately those bolts would not be rated to do that. Considering the threads are in the brake rotor, and if one were to purchase cheapo-baseline rotors I wouldent want to recommend using those threads to hold on the wheel. Also drums in the back dont have the same story.

Basically the idea I am trying to accomplish is a "bolt on" product. Where one may purchase the product, follow the instructions, install them and drive away. Without having to disable the vehicle to ship parts, etc... waiting for the parts to come back...

OK, I am in the process of ordering the materials. First run will be 5 sets (a set meaning 4 wheels)

3 sets will be 5x100 and 2 sets will be 5x4.5

All will have 12x1.25 studs in them

Spacer thickness will be 0.625" thick

Will be machined from 6061T6 aluminum

If you want a lug nut (open or chrome) set with the spacers then send me a PM and I can get you a quote on that.

If you purchase a 5x100 set, you will have to grind of the hubcentrics to make them fit. (sorry but there really is no way around that)

Cost will end up being $160 per set (sorry, cost of parts tacked on that $10)

If you would like me to reserve you a set, then I need a $60 depost. (send me a PM and I will send you a paypal address, or mailing address with a check) Figure around the 1st-2nd week of January that they will be ready. At which point you can send the rest of the $100 along with shipping costs.

(sorry for the deposit but I have had board members back out on group deals before)

I am going to label these as "Off highway use only" because I dont want anyone sueing me 10 years from now. (you guys know the deal)

-Mike

OK well yesterday I ordered all the hardware and Milling tools. I have the aluminum stock already, and cut to the necessary milling size. Unfortunately for you guys I will be making a trip over christmas week up to portland. so machining wont start till the new year. No worries tho. THere are still a couple sets that havent been officially claimed with a deposit.

-Mike

What about just for 2 wheels? Rears?

Pm'd on this matter...

only if you can find someone else to split the set with you for now. Perhaps later down the road if I sell enough of them to just keep so many in stock.

-MIke

If there is still a set unclaimed by deposit next thursday and Gloyale wants to split an order count me in.