Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tyre siping?

Karl

So, I scored a couple of sets of tires and wheels today, turns out the guy from Craig'slist was wrong about there being much tread left on the subie rims he had (off white 8 spoke 87's), BUT he had the same size tyres on some Toyo 5 spoke rims. So, now I've got rims that will do for now and free up two of my existing rims for spares, but the tires I have are on the Toyo rims. So, (sorry I'm long winded, but hell, I enjoy a story so hopefully you do too) I was checking Les Schwab's website to see what they charge to swap them over (anyone know?) and came across tire siping, I was thinking they'd probably swap my tires over for free if I had this done. I had never heard of this before, but it makes sense and from what I can tell from some web research it's a very good thing. Any opinions? stories?

better yet anyone know what it costs?

-Dok

PS Anticipating a question and a suggestion here, the Toyo rims are plain-Jane steel.

Well in my opinion Its not really a bad idea but i would rather do it myself because when a Shop does it they use a machine with cutting wheels on it and it just cuts nice even slits in the tread but they make tiny rubber slivers on the ends of the tread blocks which to me kinda sucks, but if it is done right it can make a difference in traction, i dont know if it helps with tread wear or anything.

Les Schawb here will Swap out a tire as long as its in good condition to another rim for $6 per tire. Hope this helps you out some.

Guest taprackready

I had it done to my coopers on my chevy pickup. Siped the centers only so the shoulders of the tire tread don't chunk off. Works great in the ice, snow and rain. DO IT.

Bill in K-Falls, Oregon