Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I know a lot of people aren't huge fans of these tires, but don't knock em till you try em.

i just got a set of Goodyear Triple Treads on the 99leg GT. So far, they're amazing.

quiet

grip like mad

total control

cool looking

we just got a butt-load of snow here in columbus and i TRIED to have some fun with my car in a parking lot and i couldn't. Everytime i got the car to slide it hooked right back up.

i really think that the AWD of the Subaru and the grip of the Triple Treads is a huge win.

Strong recommendation there, thanks, but Tirerack says of the Triple Tread : "It was developed to be versatile by combining long wear with traction in any weather condition, including light snow."

Light snow?

hmmm...

Getting ready to replace the original all-season Michelin P205/70R 15 tires that came with the OB. Should I use Michelin again, or is there somthing better out there value and quality wise? Thanks for all suggestions.

No question that Michelin builds a very fine tire, and they are expensive. I have had good luck with Kumho tires on my Subie. They are great tires for not much money. In my opinion, a best buy for the buck!

On the Kumho's - have trouble keeping them balanced?

On my VW they need rebalanced with every rotation (5k).

I was thinking of getting them for the girlfriends 2006 Impreza especially since she has the more costly 16" tires.

Needing them rebalanced every rotation on her car is a problem. I always rotate them over the weekend when the local tire shops are closed.

I've NEVER had tires that need constant rebalancing like these. They seem to grip well, handle well, priced excellent, but the rebalancing bites.

Kumho KH16's H rated.

Her factory Potenza's are gonna go 50k - would go further at a less sloppy time of the year.

Dave

Strong recommendation there, thanks, but Tirerack says of the Triple Tread : "It was developed to be versatile by combining long wear with traction in any weather condition, including light snow."

Light snow?

hmmm...

they can't claim it to be a snow tire because it's preform like a snow tire. it's got a tread rating of like 740 or something rediculous. snow tires aren't even rated. so yes, a dedicated snow tire will preform better, but i tell you, i've had no problems with them driving on completely snow covered roads.

I also have the Kuhmo's and have never had problems with the balance.

I've had Kuhmo's on my OB for the past 15,000 miles and haven't had any problems with them. Very good value. Get them from some place like Discount Tire who rotate and balance them for free. I haven't had any problem with them coming out of balance.

My Snow Tires I have on Steelies are a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks and they have proved the be excellant in some pretty serious snowfall.

My Other Set I have on ASA 17"s are Kumho Ecstas and when it comes to any wet weather or snow....these tires suck....on dry pavement i think they are great though and have a good treadwear.

I've had Bridgestone Turanza's on my Forester for three years now and have been very pleased with them. They grip the road very well in wet weather. Tread life is better than the Yokohama's that come standard.

This year for the first time I'm thinking of putting snow tires on particularly for better safety on the highways. The Yokohama IG 20's look appealing with the features they have. They got a good review in the newspaper here. I haven't seen any mention of them in the various posts in the forum though I realize they're new out this year.

Anyone have any opinions or know someone who has them?

My Snow Tires I have on Steelies are a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks and they have proved the be excellant in some pretty serious snowfall.

My Other Set I have on ASA 17"s are Kumho Ecstas and when it comes to any wet weather or snow....these tires suck....on dry pavement i think they are great though and have a good treadwear.

+1 on the Blizzaks! I got a set of aluminum rims for the winter tires, and I look good while Keeping a Grip on the situation! Nothing like LEAVING a herd of Trucks, Jeeps, and SUV's at a light with Ice/Snow on the ground!:headbang:

Fat Tony

+1 on the Blizzaks! I got a set of aluminum rims for the winter tires, and I look good while Keeping a Grip on the situation! Nothing like LEAVING a herd of Trucks, Jeeps, and SUV's at a light with Ice/Snow on the ground!:headbang:

Fat Tony

You gotta be careful with Blizzaks, yea they're good when it snows and you want to keep going in a straight line, but for the rest of the time you're riding on a unresponsive marshmallow.

Thanks for the replies so far. Came across Hankook Mileage Plus in PepBoys: 85k miles, 600AB rating, $72 ea.

Sounds good on paper, anybody tried these? Ta.

Yes, actually I did have those on my 2002 Forester. They were OK. They didnt last 85k and got scary after 40k. Had better luck with BF Goodrich Traction T/A's on my other vehicles, so I decided to give it a try on the Forester......5000mi later and I'm still happy.

You gotta be careful with Blizzaks, yea they're good when it snows and you want to keep going in a straight line, but for the rest of the time you're riding on a unresponsive marshmallow.

In that respect, I'm pleased with my Dunlop Graspic DS2 tires- awesome in the snow (have yet to try ice), don't suck on dry pavement.

I've been doing extensive parking-lot, steep-hill, and hilly yard-with-snowdrifts testing. These tires keep going until you're high-centered and its time to dig.

I do about 40 miles of interstate and 10 miles of backroad a day.

Dave

Came across Hankook Mileage Plus in PepBoys: 85k miles, 600AB rating, $72 ea.

Sounds good on paper, anybody tried these. Ta.

My friend had to return these for is Honda Odyssey. He fell for the deal. They were defective from the factory. He ended up with a set of Coopers that he likes. My brother however, has a set of Hankook H418 that he put on his Cadillac STS and loves them. Regarding this post makes me think about my earlier post. The Kumho ASX's are the tires that I have that give me perpetual balancing issues. They may have other models that are great. I've heard good things about the Kumho KH16. Good luck!

I've got a set on my '99 OBW that are VERY noisy on the dry highway - are yours noisy too?

I know a lot of people aren't huge fans of these tires, but don't knock em till you try em.

i just got a set of Goodyear Triple Treads on the 99leg GT. So far, they're amazing.

quiet

grip like mad

total control

cool looking

we just got a butt-load of snow here in columbus and i TRIED to have some fun with my car in a parking lot and i couldn't. Everytime i got the car to slide it hooked right back up.

i really think that the AWD of the Subaru and the grip of the Triple Treads is a huge win.

My original Michelin's went 65,000 miles. I have had great luck with Bridgestone tires over the years, but my dealer said they would not go near that distance on a Subaru. I bought Michelin Hydroedge, and they are expensive, but do everything well. Quiet, good handling, outstanding in rain, and good in snow, all I need on an AWD vehicle at least. They were rated at 80,000 miles when they came out and I took mine off with tread remaining at near 70,000 miles. The rain performance was good up to the very end, but snow performance dropped off a little after 50,000 miles, but I still got around OK. I bought another set of Hydroedge, and recommend them for anybody that doesn't need a hardcore snow tire to get around. They are pricey, but last a long time if you keep the alignment good.

I'm eyeing the Michelin X Radial DT's at Costco at the monent. Costco also has the BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A's, which are a bit cheaper and look more grunty with the raised white lettering.

Online reviews of the Long Trails vary wildly, from really bad to really good. Anybody have OBW experience with these?