Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat living in New Hampshire...

Hey all...

Making my grand entrance here. I frequent the board, but usually only the Search function. About a week ago I picked up a 1983 Subaru Brat of my very own. I am excited about this beast... done a bit of wheelin, some nice snow driving, and have been picking away at little problems here and there. I can't believe how capable these things are stock.

I work on a bunch of cars, but my other current rides are both air-cooled VWs that I have totally restored. A 1976 VW Westfalia Camper I have spent some serious time traveling in, and a 1969 Beetle that is almost ready for the road.

picture of my bus:

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/313795.jpg

picture of my bug during assembly:

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/383513.jpg

After seeing a couple lifted hatches while traveling through CO, I was hooked. I helped my buddy pick up an 83 hatch out in Seattle, and could not resist so had to pick one up here on the east coast. This brat is originally from AZ, only a few years up in ME, can you say solid rockers, woohoo. About 111k, 4sp DR, A/C, non-power anything, original fading paint. For now, she is stock, EA81, solid lifters, Hitachi carb with the increasingly frustrating CA emissions.

83bratdrive.JPG

83brat.JPG

EA81.JPG

Anyhow, thanks for the help you all have unknowingly provided. I will be posting with a few specific questions I can't find answers to, but wanted to show everyone my ride first. Thanks to those who I have PMed with random questions as well.

steve out

Yea, the bus came out real nice. I drive it pretty hard, and have taken it everywhere, that thing has been on some serious trails. Even with and open diff, the rear engine rear wheel drive really hooks up great. Also has some significant ground clearance, and super narrow to fit on those tight trails. The pic is from Fruita, CO. The bus currently resides in Seattle in storage.

The brat pictures make it look pretty good, it is no beauty queen though. I will talk about my future plans for the brat in another thread, hint... in the offroad section ... haha. It will be my daily driver, and on some pretty long trips, so we will see.

It would be great to hook up with some other old soob drivers up here in new england. Let me know if you guys have any meets or such. It has been a pain trying to find any parts, everything is rusted, crushed, and long gone. So far I have just swapped the grill to the 'honeycomb' style.... much better, I think it gives me 5 hp, haha. I rebuilt the carb, did a little exhaust work, and fixed my shloppy shifter. TIGHT!

:banana:

Welcome to the board! .. I usually have a yearly cookout at my house in CT ( North Western CT) and there are plenty of us New Englander Subaru nuts...We also go down to Carlisle PA for the Import Car show

Pics are here...Mine is the Yellow and Black XT6:

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f335/Bucky92/Carlisle2007/

There is also a group that likes to go off roading in NJ at the Pine Barrens.

Forgot to mention Wicked Big Meet in Mass

Welcome! Nice BRAT! What part of NH? There aren't too many of us around here :(

I'm in MA, Loyale91 -NH, BRAgoaT, who just got a BRAT, he's up near the Seabrook border in MA. North Ursalia who just sold his BRAT. CT, NY has a few. I think there are a couple near the Cape.

I spoke to a man at a car show, and he told me BRATs are fairly common in NH?

So far I have just swapped the grill to the 'honeycomb' style.... much better, I think it gives me 5 hp

:banana:

Funny thing is i did the same thing. The only thing i kept off my old 86 hatch was the honeycomb grill and that grill is now on my 83. I like the look of it better than the original.

I'm in southern NH, just outside Manchester, and about an hour north of Boston.

I don't think I've ever even seen an EA81 subaru out here, but maybe I was never looking hard in the past. The only brats I came across were rusted beyond recognition. It looked like they had been parked in the ocean or something... man. I know plenty of people that had them in the past, but they have been long since retired by our nasty winters. Maybe I am not far enough into the country..

I will keep you all up to date on the progress of my brat. I'm glad to hear there are so many old subie drivers out here. ROCK!

Howdy, welcome from another brat owner...also got those vw hippie rigs...also on the samba site!...72 westy(project), and a 62 BAJA bug(4 sale?). I used to hate the brat, ugh, wouldn't have one...a friend needed someone to "fix" his brat...I fixed it and then bought it,280,000 on original engine and still gets over 30 to gal!!! just got another 82 brat(GL,5spd,t-top), and am trying to get enough good parts to put back on road(last owner,high school kids...dents,siezed motor)...and yes the PNW does seem to be the place to get all kinds of used parts...I say that cause of all the free stuff I've been able to get...whole cars even...anyway, this board makes it all possible...:cool:

I'm in southern NH, just outside Manchester, and about an hour north of Boston.

I don't think I've ever even seen an EA81 subaru out here, but maybe I was never looking hard in the past. The only brats I came across were rusted beyond recognition. It looked like they had been parked in the ocean or something... man. I know plenty of people that had them in the past, but they have been long since retired by our nasty winters. Maybe I am not far enough into the country..

I will keep you all up to date on the progress of my brat. I'm glad to hear there are so many old subie drivers out here. ROCK!

Hey,nice Brat.....and uhh,since you love this community so much maybe I could ask a little favor of you. There's a '73 Subaru GL Coupe at a yard in Wilton.

Blanchard auto salvage LLC

47 Greenvile Road

Wilton NH 03086

(603) 654-9445

That place. And if you're over that way during business hours I'm looking to get a real onsite review of it. I'd be happy to send you my cell phone # . Let me know if that's not too far and I'll send a PM through the board with my number if its a go. Otherwise,if its just too far or you're too busy I understand.

91Loyale spotted this but he's kind of busy. I called yesterday and the car is saved untill the next crusher stop which should be a few more weeks. But I'd like to get someone to look it over real soon because scrap has been up most of the year.

It would be great to hook up with some other old soob drivers up here in new england. Let me know if you guys have any meets or such. It has been a pain trying to find any parts, everything is rusted, crushed, and long gone.

We can help. Specifically,between myself and our friend in eastern Ct there's loads of EA81 parts to help you with. Plenty of carbs and intakes,etc. to rid the CA emissions with. I have some parts left from the several Brats that came through here.

Also,there's a small core of 70's owners here too. And we just "know" there's some old stock still in some VT and NH locations so if you do come across any,you know the deal. ;)

My puppies:

Original CT car properly rustproofed when new.

128Connie_s_Party_019.jpg

'73 GL1400 Coupe:

128PDC_0031.JPG

Here's the back end of the Coupe and something you might be interested in on the ground. :) Fits Subarus.

Plow_3.jpg

and she is close to the coast. ..Lookin like we are going to have to plan a big gathering in the middle and get everyone together

About 2 minutes by car to the water. My '78 never gets driven in winter. I do drive the '86 rather than the Baja... it handles much better in the snow, slop and ice. Damn ABS brakes!

I'll host the event whenever anyone's game... just let me know when! Connie needs to make her pumpkin bread though... and please make it the same way you did with the substitutions... yum-o! <shhhh, I hid a bunch for me'self to enjoy!>

There's a white EA81 hatch in the Peterborough area. There's also an EA81 brat being restored in Lynebourough. In my area, there's a guy with about 10 parts brats, a 6" lifted blue brat with a white roll bar, a wrx scoop in the hood, and a stack. He's a member here, but he never visits. 20 buck brat is his username.

I was a huge VW fan way back...had a 65 Karman Ghia Convert with a Porche 914 motor in it.. I had to laugh at Steve mentioning VWtrend..I was a subscriber for years!

Mary you are lucky..I wrote down my substitutions:grin: for the pumpkin bread ( I am so glad you liked it..first time I made it).

Looks like WBM might have some more old school this year;)

how is WBM.. and when is it.. ??

moosens .. I will PM you in a bit about going to that yard...

I might be in the market for some parts...

my plans for the brat are to get it running bulletproof, put on a small lift and some under 27" A/Ts. Maybe a brushguard if I could find one out here for a good price, or I will just make one. I am getting pretty attached to the stock bumpers though...

I am trying to find subies out here so I can have the option to swap out my carb and such. I have this wierd hesitation at low to mid RPMs under partial throttle along with bad gas milage. Just have not been able to work it out yet. That CA emissions is a trip, but that will be in another thread... I have some more things to try before I cry out for help.

haha brat82 .. I don't know how I ended up with a brat either... it combines the two things I used to hate most about cars... 80's styling... and pickup/car combos.... haha. But somehow with these subarus... it was love at first sight. A capable dependable cheap vehicle with 4WD, good gas milage, and working heat... awesome! I can see a hatch in my future.

Other that that, I have been updating the rustproofing and treating any I can find. I might deal with my couple small oil leaks too... oil pump and pan look like I can do them with everything else in place.