Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subrau Brat Diesel in Washington???

I talked to a car salesman at his lot in Spokane and he is positive there is a blue Brat in Washington state that is sporting a diesel motor.. He said the guy bought the motor from Germany last year and paid $4000.00 for it.. and claims he get 60 miles per gallon!!! And he said he saw the Brat also....Anyone heard of this guy OR can this be possible???

Subaru is going to release a boxer diesel, if they haven't already. AS for a diesel in a Brat, I'd almost guarantee they'd be on this board if it was. That would be cool to have a diesel...Imagine the low end torque....but you'd probably have to redo the gearing in the gear box to accomendate the low power band of the diesel?

Also, could it have been one of those VOlkswagon truck things...could look like a Brat to someone, especially a salesman?

Rabbitamino_LH.jpg

The 70 year old gieser said Brat, cause i was driving mine and he thought i wanted to trade it in:slobber:

What he said and what his blind old eyes saw are likely to be two very different things.

Besides. He is a car salesman. You are more likely to get good info from the Bush administration than you are from a car salesman. ;)

just a quick thought: vanagon 1.5 or 1.6 diesel + fox trans

and if you want a 4wd version: syncro or quattro trans

definatelyt EXTREMELY hard to confuse a vw pickup with a subaru brat

low end torque is not much, and they do not accept being lugged

they are extremely happy to run at the top end of their rpm range

fuel economy is realistically 40 mpg

1.6 na 1588 cc 52hp @ 4800 71ftlb @ 2500

compare with ea71

1.6 na 1595 cc 68hp @ 4800 84ftlb @ 2800

difference of 7cc 16hp 13ftlb in favor of subaru

swap in a ea81, ea81t, ea82, ea82t, and you will be better off, if you decide you must upgrade from the ea71

As I tell everyone, even from pre-internet days, quietly and calmly, is please give me the details of where you found your information so I may indepedently verify/reproduce it.

no matter whether they are the Bill Gates is going to send you 200 dollars for forwarding an email, the next disney land is going to be built in rural ozark missouri, WWII motorcycles packed in grease for 200 dollars, there are nuclear wepons in Iraq or a Subaru Diesel simply please produce the verifiable details. thanks.

it wasn't at the subie shop on hamilton was it?

if so that guy is always full of ************.hence the name we gave him......"slick"

and for a salesman ,a brat and a veewee truck would be hard to tell apart...........everything looks like dollar signs$$$$$$$$$$$$$:lol:

just a quick thought: vanagon 1.5 or 1.6 diesel + fox trans

and if you want a 4wd version: syncro or quattro trans

I don't know if that'd fit, the Vangon diesel is just a standard inline four cylinder Rabbit diesel motor, more or less laying on its side, I doubt there is enough room in the Subaru engine compartment for it + a trans... Woulda been cool if they had made a boxer diesel... I've heard that Fuji made a diesel EA81 that they used in a forklift, but I've never seen a picture or anything.

As I tell everyone, even from pre-internet days, quietly and calmly, is please give me the details of where you found your information so I may indepedently verify/reproduce it.

....there are nuclear wepons in Iraq or a Subaru Diesel simply please produce the verifiable details. thanks.

Granted, these are a new product. But if you read my prior post I said "going to release"

HERE and HERE and HERE

Want more?

Gotta love Google

Straight from the Subaru Global Webpage

Here's an awesome movie of it

I highly doubt the guy even realizes Subaru is producing a diesel boxer... let alone thinks somebody has imported the not even released (I don't think it's been released anyway... already has in Germany?) Subaru diesel boxer for ONLY $4,000. OBVIOUSLY it would be WAY more than that, and that's assuming it actually IS a Subaru diesel... which it isn't. He probably just heard a severe case of lifter tap and assumed it was a diesel and made up some crackpot story. But then again, we won't know until somebody goes and looks.

I highly doubt the guy even realizes Subaru is producing a diesel boxer... let alone thinks somebody has imported the not even released (I don't think it's been released anyway... already has in Germany?) Subaru diesel boxer for ONLY $4,000. OBVIOUSLY it would be WAY more than that, and that's assuming it actually IS a Subaru diesel... which it isn't. He probably just heard a severe case of lifter tap and assumed it was a diesel and made up some crackpot story. But then again, we won't know until somebody goes and looks.

hahahaha, i vote for tick of death

but seriously, there are alot of aircraft engines that can run on diesel or gasoline, for diesel they turn the ignition system off and let it ping along, but thats avgas, which runs at super high compression. im sure somebody out there has converted a gas ea81 to diesel, even chevy did it with their v8s so i t cant be that hard

• 7 years later...