Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Uneven exhaust on '06 Outback ...

... driving behind The Pretty One this morning (10 deg F, low humidity) I noticed that there was a LOT more vaopr exhaust out the drivers-side tailpipe. The curb-side had almost none, the drivers a steady plume. Is this just normal unbalanced flow, or is ther trouble ahead. After a couple miles and the car was well warmed up, it all stopped.

Uses no coolant, and was pressure tested when we had a coolant change this fall. Runs fine, just never noticed this before (Duh ... never followed the car on a cold day before).

This might sound like a silly question, but I don't know: Is the muffler/tailpipe section a single-inlet, dual-outlet style? If that's the case, I'd say the muffler just doesn't have even flow out the outlet pipes, which I can't believe makes any difference.

Pretty sure if your get down on your hands and knees and look under the back end of your Subie, you will see that your duel exhaust system is actually formed with a single exhaust pipe branching into a "Y" configuration. I don't think this is anything more then a cosmetic addition to the car, and does nothing for performance. Perhaps, more exhaust gets dumped into one side of the "Y" then to the other side, so you see more water vapor (steam) out one the tail pipes. This is not an indication that you are having a problem with your car.

[...]I know that if it's a split exhaust it's subject to the whims of the Bernoulli principal, and not an indication of actual flow.
It might also be subject to the whims of the local rodent population; around here at least, they sometimes like to build nests in nice warm tailpipes.