Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tech write-up....Two thumbs up

MilesFox, Nice write ups..........Much better than Haines Manual....good, real world type explanation.

This is NOT a criticism, only my personal experience. You have to realize, I was on my own and just improvised as I went.

I don't reccomend anyone try to imitate what I have done, I just wanted to relate my experience. I am lucky to have an engine hoist to make it easy, I realize some people don't and you have written your article to suit.

On the Engine Removal, I am curious about something. I have had mine out twice and have never needed to disconnect the P/S hoses....I just lay the pump back where the spare tire goes.

The A/C compressor, I just set it in the battery tray. No need to discharge it......especially with the cost of A/C service these days.

This will sound silly, but I tie a rope to the "loop" on the hood and go back over the car to the rear bumper. This holds the hood almost vertical, no prop rod in the way.

Anyway, just my .02 cents worth.......

:-)

Kudos on your undertaking the write-ups...............:headbang:

Wish I had access to that kind of info 6 years ago.......

On the Engine Removal, I am curious about something. I have had mine out twice and have never needed to disconnect the P/S hoses....I just lay the pump back where the spare tire goes.The A/C compressor, I just set it in the battery tray. No need to discharge it......especially with the cost of A/C service these days.

This will sound silly, but I tie a rope to the "loop" on the hood and go back over the car to the rear bumper. This holds the hood almost vertical, no prop rod in the way.

Good notes, thats exactly how I do it, except I tie the hood up to the roof rack.

Miles, Great write-ups. Keep it up.

i find it easiert ti discinnect the ps lines than remove the pump itself, as the pump will stay with the motor.

tha alternator mount and ac pump can swing up and out of the way. i need to write up for panasonic, inboard, and outboaurd hitachi, all having different belt systems

i like to remove the hood. TRASHWAGON6 had the motor in, out, in out, on with a comealong tied to the rafters..

i try to be general with my explination, keping the small guy in his garage in mind.

like on the front cliper, i mention to use a special tool, but i also describe my method with pliers

and i describe my method for ball joints, i have demonstraed it to people. i should mention a pickle fork, forgot to.

i like to leave the reader with a few open options to make a choice

keep in mind what i have writen so far is just from memory. i need to get my haynes book to "paraphrase" some of the more complex issues

i also need to obtain pictures that can be used in the write-up

although i am writing these on my site, i sent some of it to the USRM also

Wow, you are stronger than I am. I am not going to attempt to pull mine out by "hand" :-\ :eek:

I will be pulling mine out again; maybe in the next week with any luck. I have a 2 megapixel camera........you guys want me to take pics? I have access to a concrete floor shop, so the shop hoist will roll smoothly.......engine should be out in no time, but I will be working alone, so problems can and do arise. Usually this involves repeat trips to the toolbox for something or other........plus a few trips to NAPA for the basics and the local Subaru dealer for the precision stuff (hydraulic lash adjusters, cam cover sealing kit, oil pump seal kit).

I will probably do the clutch this time (pilot bearing, friction disc, pressure plate and T/O bearing), as well as the water pump, thermostat, upper/lower rad. hoses, timing and v-belts. I don't want to leave any stone unturned this time. I don't like working on MY car all the time. I don't enjoy things when they are a grind.......:brolleye:

It's all weather dependent, as I won't be able to roll the car in far enough to close the roll-up door........:madder: Too much junk in the way............but hey, it's not my shop :D .

If I get stuck, I will check in here for guidance..........

yes, pictures are great. i had not many pictures of all i have done because i dont have ready access to a camera.

i want to colloct pictures i can throw in with my technical explinations.

when taking pictures, read the technical info outline, and take pics accordingly. you get the idea.

i will make a few ms paint diagrams myself. real pictures will be super beneficial at this point.