Ultimate Subaru Message Board

filling gas slow...too cold

After putting in a new(used) gas tank on my 82 Brat, I can only fill it very, very slow or it overflows. I think it gets filled up in the hose that runs from the hole to the tank. Its the same hose that was there before the new tank and it filled up fine. Its been like this awhile and now that its f#@$ing cold outside its a little anoying that it takes me 5 min to put $10.00 worth of gas in. Anyone else have this promblem? What can be done?

Biff two things to check

1) the large dia fill hose got kinked somehow when installing the tank

2) or the smaller dia. top "tank vent" hose that connects to the steel portion of the fill hose system, it maybe kinked. This hose lets air out of the tank as gas goes in and allows it to "vent" through the steel connection portion. This will cause gas to back up and trip the nozzle.

Hope this helps solve the riddle

Yeah - the large hose is easy to kink, and if you don't get it ALL the way on the tank tube, it will have too sharp of a bend in it. It takes some real muscle to get the tube all the way on - done it several times when replacing / moving tanks.

The flapper thing in the fill tube can be seen, and operated with your finger - it's right near the opening, and if you can insert the nozzle all the way, then it's working.....

GD