Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who's done the EA81 or 82 to EJ22 swap?

Hey all,

I know I've seen this swap done before, here on the board. My question is to those who have done the swap. First, what year was the car the transplant was put into? Second, does it bolt up to EA81 or EA82 transaxles? And lastly, are there significant space issues around the motor (namely in the front near the radiator)? Thanks for any light you can shed,

Well, I haven't put an EJ22 into an EA series car, but I have put an EJ20G into an EA 82 series car. The engine was put into an 87 RX. No the EA series trannys will not bolt up to the EJ series engine without a very rare adapter. On my conversion, I had to remove the A/C condensor in front of the radiator and put a set of pusher type electric fans, but then I was using a two row radiator. I have seen similar conversions done in Australia where they were able to get the stock radiator and fans to work (I think that they used two auxilary electric fans). Installing an EJ22 would run into the same problems. Also you will need to get a Legacry or XT6 tranny mount and narrow the rear section to get the EJ tranny to mount in the EA28, also the driveline needs to be shortened 55mm.

• 1 year later...
Guest shadow

If you come across old links to other threads on the board, you can just change the usmb. prefix to www. and get it to work. The usmb. was a sub domain we had to phase out because it caused bandwidth metering and other linking problems.

I have changed the link in this thread so it works.