Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber on a '74 1400

I'm not sure about a 1400, but a friend of mine has one on his EA71. Jetted a little lower than an EA81, but it works fine. I think Kostamojen (sp?) is putting one on his FF-1 and thats an 1100 or something. SPFI is a thought. I can't see why it wouldn't work. The intake manifold might be too wide, but you could make an adapter for the SPFI throttle body to mount on your manifold fairly easily.

water choke can be problematic

electric is either off or on

manual with a locking cable, when set correctly will act as a throttle to increase engine speed, and after pulled more, will engage the choke

especially useful for when stopped,, and need to hold rpm above idle, just pull it out and it stays

morning warmup: it idles fine until slightly warmed up where it decides to idle around 500

pull the cable, and set it for 2k, all is good

• 6 months later...
I Put A Weber On My 73' 1400 It Takes A Ea71 Manifold In Order To Fit! The 1400 Mani. Has The Thermostat Housing In The Way.

What about a California intake? If I remember right,I was looking into that because the Cali. was unobstructive. Too late now,but maybe the next guy to Weber a 1400 will see this.

Any modification on that 1600 intake to fit?

• 2 years later...

I managed to track down a EA71 manifold that was designed for the bigger Ea81 carb.

I am busy port matching the manifold and modifying the carb. I have ditched the vac secondary and built a secondary linkage. Also shortened the accelerator pump linkage and have generally smoothed the carb intake

My stock EA71 carb is 26/30, EA81 is 28/32, Weber is 32/36.

I'm hoping that a port matched manifold and bigger carb will do work a treat. We shall see.

But for now it would be interesting to know how people have gotten on with a 32/36 Weber on the EA71. How does it affect the power curve?

What are the pro's and con's. Experienced feedback would be welcome.

Cheers.

Dirk