Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need help deciding on water pump

take the pulley off of your car's water pump and take some meaurements of the shaft length/clearances.. a picture you could take to the parts store would be primo. then compare the two different water pumps at the parts store to your info. they are visually different so the difference will be obvious. don't forget a new O-ring for the pipe that goes to the radiator.. i replace the elbow hose to the heater core pipe as well during a water pump job. AAAAND if you want to install the timing marks from an XT, they use the water pump's bolts for mounting.

It should be the short water pump. I remember putting a short water pump on my 86 turbowagon (I later replaced it) and it had factory AC and to make the belts line up I had to put a couple washers between the pump and pully. Therefore from my mistake we can figure out this... factory AC cars have studs and a long pump. NON AC cars have holes and a short pump.