Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

rag joint

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lonnie

lonnie

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • oregon city

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:13 PM

1981 brat - seems the rag joint for steering is just about gone. have tried dealers with no luck. does any one know a good source for replacement, or will i have to go to something like a universal joint along the lines of what flaming river makes? if so anyone know what the spline count would be?

#2 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,719 posts
  • Dallas, Ft. Worth, Texas

Posted 19 December 2007 - 05:05 PM

I have used the VW beetle rag joint.(60's and 70's) It works nicely! Retain and use the 4 metal inserts from your original Subaru joint.

VW aftermarket parts are widely available and cheap. These joints make steering much tighter!

Todd

www.vintagesubaru.com

#3 lonnie

lonnie

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • oregon city

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:49 PM

todd-thank you for the suggestion and did this using the poly version.the fit is tight but it does work and yes tightens up the steering. a good upgrade i would recommend to all. question, want to do this to my 85 gen II brat, will it work there as well? again, thank you.

#4 Leeroy

Leeroy

Old boxer tricks!

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • Albury, NSW, Australia

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:26 AM

I use a Gen 2 Brumby/Brat rubber coupling (rag joint) in my 1978 wagon with no worries at all. The 4 holes have exactly the same spacing, so I would think the VW part would fit as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users