Ultimate Subaru Message Board

POR 15/ Rust Bullet opinions

Well, my cars are in really good condition, but my newest project, (78 DL wagon), has a few minor isues to deal with. The bottom of the rear right quarter was full of dirt, so it rusted from neglect. Not a bad fix, but I'm not wanting a return of rust.

I think I'll be using this stuff on any future rust too. eBay seems to have it.

Is Rust Bullet the same quality?

Todd

I've never used POR, but plan to on my 67 Mustang resto project. A lot of vintage Mustang guys swear by it, and these are some hard folks to please.

I dont know that it's worth the extra expense for an everyday type of car. I use one called Extend, which is inexpensive, easy to come by, and works fairly well. It stops surface rust in it's tracks, and slows down rust-thrus for a couple years or so.

good luck, John

I have used Por15 for the last 12 years plus 3 other companies in various situations and for experimental reasons...but no One rust fighter fits all applications....Por15 is excellent if proper prep work is done...but if the metal Flexes like a fender or the frame of a car, rust starts to develope under the coating(s) and you won't even see it...for restoration cars that never drive much,it's great, but most appl. call for the coating to be able to move...what you really need to be concerned with, is the ability of the rust fighter to prevent any air/moisture from getting to the rusted area and to have the ability to stay there

Pete makes some great points.

A lot of people forget to look at the backside of the repair, and just concentrate on the visible part. Big mistake.

Always clean up/treat both sides of the metal (if accessible) and blow out the debris with compressed air. Even cheap-rump roast .99 asphalt undercoating goes a long way towards protecting an area from moisture and the atmosphere.

As stated above, you are trying to treat and encapsulate the affected area. If you miss a spot, the rust will come back with a vengence.

good luck, John