Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pardon me if this has been discussed before, There are two sets of timing marks on the 90-94, perhaps others,2.2l legacy engine, nowhere did I see any reference to this feature in any information sources, even some provided on this site. it would have been nice if this point of possible confusion had been mentioned anywhere at all and it wouldn't have taken three days to replace the timing belt, I'm really not as stupid as I feel,,, really.

If you reference fig.20 you will see the timing belt mark on the outside of the cam gear at the 12:oo position, there is also an arrow pointing to 1:30, this is the piston mark

In fig. 18 , the belt mark is on one of the crank sensor trigger teeth at 12:00, there is also an arrow (not shown) pointing to 3:00, this is also a piston position mark

In the real world, the timing belt marks on the edge of the cam gears are easy to see but the arrow marks are less visible, the arrow on the crank gear is very easy to see and the belt mark is less visible and you cannot mix and match.

you can install the belt using the belt timing marks but you could install the belt using the piston position marks and it would work just as well.

my mistake was using 2 timing belt marks on the cam gears and 1 piston position mark on the crank

this was the first 2.2 that has come into the shop and altho i had read my repair manuals, the dual marks came as a surprise and I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out why it wouldn't start

The learning curve on this one was kinda steep but that's life behind the wrench

• 3 weeks later...