Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ACK! Revenge of the trunk water

Title says it all. Opened my coupe this evening to grab my tie down straps out of one of the side undercarpet cubbies and there was 1/2" of water. Same on the other side. Carpet under my sub box is wet along with the wood that covers the storage compartments. I haven't yet pulled out the FSM to see where/what could be causing water to get in but its annoying, stinky and well, plain wet. Any ideas?

what about getting some water based paint, applying it to one side of the sealing surface, then shutting the hatch and checking for a complete imprint on the other side of the sealing surface??

I second the idea of punching holes and priming them to buy some time, thats a GREAT idea.

If you haven't pulled all the plastic trim out in the trunk area, then that would be my next step.

Sorry if any of this is obvious, but when I brainstorm I toss every idea I come up with on the table.

Nope no spoiler, never came with one. I'm thinking it might also have to do with the fact that the carport I park under is open in the back and I usually back in and its on a slight incline so the car is pointing down the hill. Add in the slight rake due to having to adjust the coilovers up in the back for snow tire clearance would make it so water would be able to seep past the seal. I'm going to check it with my spray on deodorant (the white stuff) since spraying that on the hatch (or door or trunk) and closing it will result in where the seal is actually hitting. I'll be able to see it on the seal since it'll put a white residue on it to show its actually hitting the hatch (or not hitting it).

Do you have a sunroof? The drain for the EA82 sunroofs runs down into that area. If the tubes are disconnected or leaking it could cause this. Just a guess

i wouldnt poke a hole to let the water out. just use a wet dry vac to egt the water out. that way u dont have to patch a hole that u poked in the car.

My impreza fills up the spare tire area with water. I know it comes from the tail lights. I'm also too lazy to pull the tail lights to re-seal them. A couple of holes poked in the low spot, and whallah! No puddle.

Several of my old GLs had the same problem you describe. Same cure, a well placed hole or two and the water goes away as quick as it comes.