Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all,

Is there anyway to install a keyless entry into my 92 Legacy wagon? I always see remotes for sale on eBay but they are all for 95 & newer Legacys. Also, would any of those newer Subaru CD/cassette stereos fit in mine? I was curious about the size & the wire harness. Thanks.

I just got done doing my 93 legacy it is fairly easy. I ordered a black widow from etronics. It has all onboard relays for lights,horn honk, actuator and it comes with two remotes. For the unit and actuator and shipping to WA it was like $61. I bought another somewhere else for slightly less for my outback but it ended up having a horn honk instead of chirp and the remotes weren't as nice. Go with etronics and save yourself time searching for a better deal(I searched for hours and didn't find anything better with the same features). Putting it in took about 2 hours. I ended up not putting the wire through the door rubber tube I just popped holes through the grommets and fished a tape to pull the wire through the door body and the car body and just electrical taped the exposed part of the wire so it was black and would look like a clean install. As far as finding the horn wire and the parking lights just pull the cover under the steering column to expose all the ignition wire connections and disconnect each connector until you find the one that shuts off the item you are looking to determine correct wires for. Once you have the correct connector it is easy to scope the individual wires for the exact one to tap with a quick splice. I mounted the whole unit and wires all zip tied into a clean package on the metal plate just behind the pop out panel above the hood pop lever. As far as hooking the actuator up. There is a large cavity behing the arm rest that gives plenty of room for the actuator, just determine where the cavity falls by measuring and transferring to the door panel. All actuators comes with a connector to tie to the lock rod without having to cut anything. Just bend the supplied rod to give the most direct line of travel.

I should have taken pics when I did this so I could post a how-to, but I didn't. Don't worry it is much easier than you would think.