Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Idles to high/ radiater question

I have a 88 gl ea82 non turbo fuel injected. and when i start it up cold it idles at about 3 grand for a long time. it will idle that high until i get to a stop light thats about 5 miles away from my home. Then it will idle just fine but it just takes to long to idle right. Also if i put a radiater in from a 90 loyale automatic will that help my cooling. Does the loyale have a 2 row radiater. And mine is a one row.

Thanks Jason

High idle when related to fuel injection during cold start. 2 common things to check are the

CTS (sensor below thermostat housing in most cases) research cts ohm ranges in forum.

IAC (solenoid idle air on spfi) easy to clean expensive to buy. this item rarely fails, I have had luck just cleaning mine. and by clean I get engine warm then hold rpms at 2000 and pour seafoam into the IAC. it will smoke and clean the parts. when it quits smoking the treatment has worked through the system.

you should be able to find the related threads on the forum.

most likely it's your CTS, check connections, clean contacts, check ohm ranges if I remember around 100 ohms or so hot, 2-3k ohms cold (up to 11k).

I feel compelled to add

that there are two coolant sensors in this

location.

One (for the temp gauge on dash) the harness connects

directly to the sensor.

Unplug it when the engine is warm.. if the dash gauge falls to

cold, this is the wrong sensor ...see below.

The other (the FI CTS the one you need to check)

has a pigtail and barrel shaped connector.

Armed with the above info you should

follow Xbalancex7 for all suggs he gives.

Firstly, this doesn't sound that odd. Thee engines, both carbed and fuel injected, are setup to idle pretty high. 3000 rpm doesn't seem too strange, other than the length of time. But still, I'm not sure there is a "problem" here.

a loyale radiator will fit but the only benefit is that it will be newer. the turbo models have the dual core so ask for any turbo model, not just loyale.

I've never seen a 2 row radiator from the factory, in ANY EA82. Supposedly, 88-91, AUTOMATIC Turbo EA82s had the 2 core. But I own one of those car, with an original radiator, and it is a single core. Only way I can see to be sure you get a 2 core, is to order a "2 Core".