Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Everyone thinks I'm crazy

uh, yeah, no need to ruin one like that when there's plenty of other cars that can take the brunt. salt? is that all they use down there? up around Mon/Preston counties they dump black nasty gritty stuff that eats metal quicker that salt. what is that anyway, coal byproducts or something? on the real nasty curvy, steep, switch back mountain roads they'll nearly cover parts with it, ends up with huge mounds of it at each down mountain side of turns after a few storms.

pfft. just take it to a pay N spray twice a day and you're safe.

I did that with my 75 chevelle in high school (and I DID take it twice a day)

I still ended up with rust holes the size of softballs :mad:

Understand this... most of the comments are no doubt from your "average Joe" type person that thinks you dont need good tires if you have 4wd. They just dont understand.

If I had a nickel for every time somebody said I was stupid to NOT run my lifted brat in the winter, Id be a rich man. Then in the next sentence they invariably comment on how they dont see brats anymore :dead:

Bottom line: Most people will never get it... be glad you know better, and save your subie!

Understand this... most of the comments are no doubt from your "average Joe" type person that thinks you dont need good tires if you have 4wd. They just dont understand.

The people just don't get it about good tires are the ones who don't drive in snow every day.

And the people who just don't get it about salt and humidity are the ones from west of the mississippi (like me :rolleyes: -- I can't understand how you can possible have rust on a vehical from the 90's already)

rubber undercoat the balls of that thing......that is a sure prevention of salty rust virus. may look unappealing, my personal tastes reflect that of rust prevention over cosmetics though, functionality equals simple beauty in mine eyes.

There is no such thing as "sure prevention" when it comes to salt metal and rust. You might be able to slow it down a bit, but all it takes is a pin hole or a scratch and it is started. The only sure way to prevent rust is not drive it in the winter. My 92 S10 came from OK, has never seen a salted road and doesn't have a bit of rust. A lot to ask from that vintage of Chevy :lol: . Later, tim