Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Everyone thinks I'm crazy

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Andy FitzGibbon

Andy FitzGibbon

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Elkins, WV

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:33 PM

Everyone who knows me thinks I'm crazy for refusing to drive this car in road salt. I need some support from people who understand the Subaru sickness:lol:

Posted Image

Andy

#2 Flowmastered87GL

Flowmastered87GL

WCSS Drunk

• Members
  • 6,087 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:44 PM

Too nice to wreck with salt. Good idea to save a cherry one.

PS they all look like that on the west coast :)

#3 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,607 posts
  • WV

Posted 27 December 2007 - 11:03 PM

uh, yeah, no need to ruin one like that when there's plenty of other cars that can take the brunt. salt? is that all they use down there? up around Mon/Preston counties they dump black nasty gritty stuff that eats metal quicker that salt. what is that anyway, coal byproducts or something? on the real nasty curvy, steep, switch back mountain roads they'll nearly cover parts with it, ends up with huge mounds of it at each down mountain side of turns after a few storms.

#4 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,507 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:35 AM

Well... I`m so thankful to Live Soo Far Away from Salted (or Other car Damagin` Things) Roads... Enough with our very Bad Roads plenty of Mud, Rocks, Holes, bad Drivers... :-\ ...etc.

Nice Cherry Subie! :burnout:

#5 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,941 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:21 AM

pfft. just take it to a pay N spray twice a day and you're safe.

#6 backwoodsboy

backwoodsboy

vintagesubaruparts

• Members
  • 1,058 posts
  • upstate NY, in the woods

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:46 AM

pfft. just take it to a pay N spray twice a day and you're safe.

I did that with my 75 chevelle in high school (and I DID take it twice a day)

I still ended up with rust holes the size of softballs :mad:

Understand this... most of the comments are no doubt from your "average Joe" type person that thinks you dont need good tires if you have 4wd. They just dont understand.

If I had a nickel for every time somebody said I was stupid to NOT run my lifted brat in the winter, Id be a rich man. Then in the next sentence they invariably comment on how they dont see brats anymore :dead:

Bottom line: Most people will never get it... be glad you know better, and save your subie!

#7 chef_tim

chef_tim

Romans 5:8

• Members
  • 4,780 posts
  • Renner, SD

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:11 AM

I'm in the salt belt too and my 84 T-coupe wont see winter roads either. As long as you have another vehicle avilable I say keep that one nice. Later, Tim

#8 Frank B

Frank B

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,226 posts
  • VA

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:01 AM

That's the best looking Sube I've seen in West Virginia !!!! It's well worth the efforts to keep it that way, good job.

#9 zyewdall

zyewdall

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,132 posts
  • Ward, CO

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:40 AM

Understand this... most of the comments are no doubt from your "average Joe" type person that thinks you dont need good tires if you have 4wd. They just dont understand.

The people just don't get it about good tires are the ones who don't drive in snow every day.

And the people who just don't get it about salt and humidity are the ones from west of the mississippi (like me :rolleyes: -- I can't understand how you can possible have rust on a vehical from the 90's already)

#10 beataru

beataru

Subarus Catch on fire?!

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  • Phoenix

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:49 PM

That thing is pretty, your not crazy, people think your crazy for not doing what they tell you to.

#11 xbalancex7

xbalancex7

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Roanoke

Posted 29 December 2007 - 05:06 PM

rubber undercoat the balls of that thing......that is a sure prevention of salty rust virus. may look unappealing, my personal tastes reflect that of rust prevention over cosmetics though, functionality equals simple beauty in mine eyes.

#12 chef_tim

chef_tim

Romans 5:8

• Members
  • 4,780 posts
  • Renner, SD

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:33 PM

rubber undercoat the balls of that thing......that is a sure prevention of salty rust virus. may look unappealing, my personal tastes reflect that of rust prevention over cosmetics though, functionality equals simple beauty in mine eyes.

There is no such thing as "sure prevention" when it comes to salt metal and rust. You might be able to slow it down a bit, but all it takes is a pin hole or a scratch and it is started. The only sure way to prevent rust is not drive it in the winter. My 92 S10 came from OK, has never seen a salted road and doesn't have a bit of rust. A lot to ask from that vintage of Chevy :lol: . Later, tim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users