Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering Vibrations

Howdy,

I'm the new blushing owner of my very own '89 gl hatchback (EA81 4spd manual hi/low). It's got a bit o' rust, but then find me an east coast one that doesn't!

Seems to go, stop, and turn just fine below about 60, but above that I get this intermittent shake in the steering wheel. It will shake for about 5 seconds, then be smooth for 5 seconds, then shake... etc. Also, it will sometimes pull pretty hard to the left, but not always, sometimes it doesn't pull at all or only a bit.

Does this sound like any portion of the front end in particular? I'm pretty sure the front struts are blown and I've got some on order. I thought about wheel balance, but the PO says he just replaced and balanced the wheels. He said he didn't get an alignment, but would a bad alignment cause it to shake, and wouldn't the pull be constant instead of intermittent?

Aside from the above problems, the steering has no play so I didn't suspect tierods, but always a possibility right?

I've been searching and reading and I've found numerous posts about axle shafts going bad, the inner one specifically, and causing all kinds of vibrations. This could be the case with me, I'll be checking those out this weekend when I get it in the air. If this is a suspect, these same numerous posts suggest that the axle shafts from NAPA and like places are either bad out of the box or go bad after a short period of time. Can anyone recommend a brand of remans?

I don't mind replacing parts (they're cheap enough!) but I can't afford to pay a mechanic to troubleshoot and repair. I wouldn't call myself a mechanic, but I have books, and I can read english and I'm no stranger to wrenching, but my knowledge only goes as far as things I've done in the past and this isn't one of them so any suggestions of what I might look for would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

quite often, Axles.. cheap enough,, then check these: Front bearings, struts, and ball joints... all are cheap to fix..(parts at least).

check the board.. a lot of posts about axles going bad, right away, even brand new ones.. I have had two 'click' right out of the box (autozone rebuilds-duralast).. even with ltd lifetime warranty to replace when bad, still a pain to change.. tho, I can do it in about 45 mins a side.

others will chime in here..

/mike

Howdy,

I'm the new blushing owner of my very own '89 gl hatchback (EA81 4spd manual hi/low). It's got a bit o' rust, but then find me an east coast one that doesn't!

Seems to go, stop, and turn just fine below about 60, but above that I get this intermittent shake in the steering wheel. It will shake for about 5 seconds, then be smooth for 5 seconds, then shake... etc. Also, it will sometimes pull pretty hard to the left, but not always, sometimes it doesn't pull at all or only a bit.

Does this sound like any portion of the front end in particular? I'm pretty sure the front struts are blown and I've got some on order. I thought about wheel balance, but the PO says he just replaced and balanced the wheels. He said he didn't get an alignment, but would a bad alignment cause it to shake, and wouldn't the pull be constant instead of intermittent?

Aside from the above problems, the steering has no play so I didn't suspect tierods, but always a possibility right?

I've been searching and reading and I've found numerous posts about axle shafts going bad, the inner one specifically, and causing all kinds of vibrations. This could be the case with me, I'll be checking those out this weekend when I get it in the air. If this is a suspect, these same numerous posts suggest that the axle shafts from NAPA and like places are either bad out of the box or go bad after a short period of time. Can anyone recommend a brand of remans?

I don't mind replacing parts (they're cheap enough!) but I can't afford to pay a mechanic to troubleshoot and repair. I wouldn't call myself a mechanic, but I have books, and I can read english and I'm no stranger to wrenching, but my knowledge only goes as far as things I've done in the past and this isn't one of them so any suggestions of what I might look for would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

It can be any number to things including the drive shaft universal joints. In a sort of good news thing, it will get worse with time and make it easier to diagnose. I dont think its a cv joint, but can be a wheel out of balance, a damaged tire, wheel bearings, carrier bearing, universal joints.

If you can start poking around the car at those items, you may be able to find it. If you cant, you will find with time that it happnes sooner and longer, and that will make it easier to pin down.

Does the front end "click" on tight turns at low speeds? What condition is the axle boots in? Is it just in the steering wheel, or is it in the brake pedal too? Can you feel it in the seat of your pants?

nipper