Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Legacy subaru should have made but didn't, so I did, with pictures

So as some of you that have been around this forum for awhile will recognize this car as being SuperRallyRoos old rally car. I picked it up from him in the summer and ran my first event in October. Not ending like I wanted it to. With a small crash and blown head gaskets I was down but not out. I retired from that event not knowing how much longer that motor was going to last me and not wanting to be drug out of the woods some where. I went to the drawing board about what to do.

First this is first, I needed more power. As much as I love ej22s and they do a great job dragging these heavy beasts around town, you start asking them to do some Colin McRae sh*t they do what they can but can never really do much more.

Turbos, as cool as they are, was not where I wanted to go. Restriction plates, heavy tuning, just more of a headache then it's worth to me.

So I stuck with NA, and the biggest one that would go in with out any major headaches (ie any 6 cylinder) was the ej25.

So that's what I did. I crammed a phase 2 ej25 in there running on the stock 2.2 ecu and it runs awesome. Now there was a some things I have to deal with. One no IAC. The ej25 had them on the throttle body and the ej22 had them on the intake manifold. So starting it cold just consists of holding your foot on the throttle for about 30 seconds then after it's all warmed up, you wouldn't even know it wasn't there.

So here she is in all her glory. Yeah shes not the prettiest thing in the world, and maybe I will paint it all one color some day. But she runs hard and quick for an old legacy. Not turbo quick, but 2.5rs quick.

Here is a list of the crap that is done,

99 forester 2.5 w/cometic head gaskets and arp head studs

03 RS tranny

03 WRX automatic rear end with WRX wagon axles (yes 4.11s with LSD)

Legacy turbo front brakes

Legacy turbo trunk lid, (just to have the cool wing)

Homemade short shifter out of a 93 impreza shifter

the mickey mouse ears, (roof vents)

And more crap I just can't remember.

and now some pictures,

P1010048.jpg

Just sitting in my driveway ready to go the next event.

P1010049.jpg

The ej25, it seems happy in it's new home

P1010056.jpg

see i told you

P1010050.jpg

what's left of my IAC, i just have the electronics of it hooked up to make the computer happy

P1010055.jpg

my cool wing, that makes me like 100 more horsepower

P1010053.jpg

my home made short shifter, just cut move up and reweld

P1010057.jpg

this is what the people in front of me on stage see in the rear view mirror :lol:

P1010052.jpg

And my shift knob that the old school guys(like myself) will like

what year did the red 4wd knob come standard??

I like the OLD school style ROUND knobs much better

I have a set, both 4spd and 5spd

what's the momentary push button for?

not sure what year I got the knob from. I got all the linkage to do a DR swap in a loyale but it never happened. so I found it laying in the garage and figured it would look cool.

the button is for my horn. Hella super tones baby. :headbang:

Whats the foam insulation in the upper corners of the engine bay for?

the roll cage comes through a hole in the fire wall and connects to the strut tower so you put the foam there to plug it up.

it works, i think, that or a have a leak from some where else. but this thing has so many random holes in it, i'm sure it coming from one of those.

I'd be interested in hearing more on the swap...(althought the EJ25 gets a bad rap (usually deserved) on USMB)....if you get bored and have time to do a write-up.

Thanks,

Td

you know as i was doing stuff i kept on saying i should be taking pictures of this. but i was normally covered in filth and didn't want to go get my camera. I can give you some of the key things i ran into along the way. there was only really 4 or 5 main things that I had to figure out. I did this with help from someone that did this in their brothers older impreza wagon so i had some help with some of them.

all in all it was a really easy swap. much easier then i had expected. there are things about it I am willing to deal with that maybe a street car wouldn't want to. But I even had a fix for that, but I could never find the part in the junkyard to see if it would work.

but i can try to sit down and type something up with some pictures of things I ran into and post it over in the USRM.

and you are right they 2.5 get a bad rep, but i wanted to take care of the main problem with them right off the bat. the head gaskets. so i went with cometic head gaskets and ARP head studs, i know some one that was running that set up in 2.5rs block with STI guts and running like 20lbs of boost and he never had a problem. so my poor little NA motor I don't think will ever have a problem. He also said you can even over heat them and they just wont pop either