Ultimate Subaru Message Board

towing

I know someone that is towing 2 snow mobiles with his 87 gl ea82. Its about 1500 pounds. Is that too much weight for a soob. The hitch he has has 4 bolts that go into the bumper and 4 that go into the bottom of the cargo area in the trunk. Just curious if that is a good idea or if its fine.

Thanks Jason

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know someone that is towing 2 snow mobiles with his 87 gl ea82. Its about 1500 pounds. Is that too much weight for a soob. The hitch he has has 4 bolts that go into the bumper and 4 that go into the bottom of the cargo area in the trunk. Just curious if that is a good idea or if its fine.

Thanks Jason

The car will be fine. The weak link here, to me, sounds like the hitch. Sounds homemade. Hitches that that use the bumper as part of the support are weak. Subaru bumpers are not made for it. The factory hitches from the time mount differently. I've seen a buddys bumper sag down a bunch from the weight of a trailer. Probably overloaded the tongue but still.

any how, he's probably fine, 2 snowmobiles are not that much weight.

My 87 gl wgn had a UHaul installed hitch that had 4 bolts in the bumper and 4 bolts spaced in the rear deck area. This sounds like the same design. Before I traded the car, I removed and installed it on my 93 wgn.

I have towed upwards of 2500lbs before. I use mine frequently to haul my 1000lb Burro trailer around.

1500lbs should`nt be an issue as long as the brakes are in good working order.

but I wouldent tow for a long distance, or on the freeway because the ru is only about 1000lbs.

???????

I hope this is a typo.

EA81 and EA82 wagons are over 3000 lbs. That's a ton and a half, not half a ton.

I towed 2000 lb trailer from Wisconsin to Oregon, 65-80 mph on the freeway the whole way. Zero issues

GloyaleQuote:

Originally Posted by silverracerkh2005

but I wouldent tow for a long distance, or on the freeway because the ru is only about 1000lbs.

???????

I hope this is a typo.

EA81 and EA82 wagons are over 3000 lbs. That's a ton and a half, not half a ton.

I towed 2000 lb trailer from Wisconsin to Oregon, 65-80 mph on the freeway the whole way. Zero issues

lol,my bad edit:3000lbs

you must have high end brakes. even so, 65-80= not smart.

lol,my bad edit:3000lbs

you must have high end brakes. even so, 65-80= not smart.

No offense dude, but you have no clue what you're talking about. I've been towing this trailer with my soob for 9 years

65-80 was fine. Obviously, a few curvy and steep section of Montana and Idaho I had to go a tad slower for safety. And at no point in the trip was I tailgating anyone, or driving without enough caution. I know HOW to drive with a trailer, not just "how fast" That is the key. Also, I do have good brakes, 4 wheel disk. New tires on the trailer with freshly regreased wheel bearings.

i have the same setup as mentioed above on my sedan, with a swapped in dual range 5s-d, amnd i tow whole cars more often than anything.

i towed my rx from Fort Wayne, IN thru Chicago to Milwaukee, wi with the same hitch. its a little bit a pain in the rump roast to drive but this is one of those things you dont want to go doing unless you can handle your car end excercise your experience in towing.

i have done donuts towing trailers as well.

My coment was more for the thread starter, than you (Gloyale). you obviosly know more about towing, and have a safer setup than the thread starter. I still don't think someone who is not familiar with towing and dosent have hq brakes should exeed the trailers advised limit (55 mph).

nice retraction..:rolleyes:

BlueTrain=Quote:

Originally Posted by silverracerkh2005

My coment was more for the thread starter, than you (Gloyale). you obviosly know more about towing, and have a safer setup than the thread starter. I still don't think someone who is not familiar with towing and dosent have hq brakes should exeed the trailers advised limit (55 mph).

nice retraction..:rolleyes:

i've desided I don't like you blue. up yours

well the biggest thing i have pulled with my roo befor i put a good clutch in it was on pavement a 3/4 ton chevy suburban died for a reson i cant recall but yea towed it a few blocks granted i was in four low and could only use first and second gear we did it. of couarse i do havea new clutch now so idk what i could pull.

I pulled an outback once. my dad has a suburban,one day the rear end fell apart then the back wheels and axle came out. he put it in 4 wheel and pulled it home(he was only a block away). but then i went and put the parts he lost (including the wheels and tires).i found it funny cause I as always hearing how it was better than my gl. lol

I wouldnt tow anything but a lawn mower with a Subaru.

1) The Brakes on your Subaru suck. They do a good job stopping your wagon, but anything past that is asking for trouble.

2) They are FWD Vehicles. You put tongue wieght on the rear end, you remove wieght from the front where your drive axle is... increasing understeer and decreasing braking performance.

I know alot of people are going to reply to this with "Your wrong, I've towed...." or "I hauled ______ and had no problems." etc.

Regardless, its not safe, and I wouldnt suggest it.

-Brian