Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

towing

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 jbecker

jbecker

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • issaquah

Posted 31 December 2007 - 03:25 PM

I know someone that is towing 2 snow mobiles with his 87 gl ea82. Its about 1500 pounds. Is that too much weight for a soob. The hitch he has has 4 bolts that go into the bumper and 4 that go into the bottom of the cargo area in the trunk. Just curious if that is a good idea or if its fine.
Thanks Jason

#2 subaruguru

subaruguru

Scammer

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • Yakima Wa,

Posted 31 December 2007 - 03:44 PM

i have towed a large car with my subaru station wagon it should be fine and the car can handle it.

BTW the car was a 1978 chevy nova.

Rob.

#3 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,259 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:44 PM

I know someone that is towing 2 snow mobiles with his 87 gl ea82. Its about 1500 pounds. Is that too much weight for a soob. The hitch he has has 4 bolts that go into the bumper and 4 that go into the bottom of the cargo area in the trunk. Just curious if that is a good idea or if its fine.
Thanks Jason

The car will be fine. The weak link here, to me, sounds like the hitch. Sounds homemade. Hitches that that use the bumper as part of the support are weak. Subaru bumpers are not made for it. The factory hitches from the time mount differently. I've seen a buddys bumper sag down a bunch from the weight of a trailer. Probably overloaded the tongue but still.

any how, he's probably fine, 2 snowmobiles are not that much weight.

#4 RONAN

RONAN

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Cincinnati

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:31 PM

My 87 gl wgn had a UHaul installed hitch that had 4 bolts in the bumper and 4 bolts spaced in the rear deck area. This sounds like the same design. Before I traded the car, I removed and installed it on my 93 wgn.

I have towed upwards of 2500lbs before. I use mine frequently to haul my 1000lb Burro trailer around.

1500lbs should`nt be an issue as long as the brakes are in good working order.

#5 silverracerkh2005

silverracerkh2005

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • SOUTH LAKE TAHOE

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:21 PM

you should be fine. I've seen 80's wags tow boats,cars,snowmobiles and other little trialers without a problem.but I wouldent tow for a long distance, or on the freeway because the ru is only about 1000lbs.

#6 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,259 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:36 PM

but I wouldent tow for a long distance, or on the freeway because the ru is only about 1000lbs.

???????

I hope this is a typo.

EA81 and EA82 wagons are over 3000 lbs. That's a ton and a half, not half a ton.

I towed 2000 lb trailer from Wisconsin to Oregon, 65-80 mph on the freeway the whole way. Zero issues

#7 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:45 PM

it is a little more interesting when the "weak point" is the slipping clutch

after that, it is the hills, especially with ea71

BTW: what is the towing capacity of a gen 2 4wd s/r ea71 wagon?

#8 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,259 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:54 PM

BTW: what is the towing capacity of a gen 2 4wd s/r ea71 wagon?

According to Subaru at the time of manufacture,.....NONE.

But we all know better.

#9 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:05 PM

and I have the factory accessory chrome hitch :banana:

#10 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,259 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

and I have the factory accessory chrome hitch :banana:

You mean SOA dealer accesory

#11 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:36 PM

You mean SOA dealer accesory

as if you read my mind :D

#12 silverracerkh2005

silverracerkh2005

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • SOUTH LAKE TAHOE

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:14 PM

GloyaleQuote:
Originally Posted by silverracerkh2005
but I wouldent tow for a long distance, or on the freeway because the ru is only about 1000lbs.

???????

I hope this is a typo.

EA81 and EA82 wagons are over 3000 lbs. That's a ton and a half, not half a ton.

I towed 2000 lb trailer from Wisconsin to Oregon, 65-80 mph on the freeway the whole way. Zero issues

lol,my bad edit:3000lbs

you must have high end brakes. even so, 65-80= not smart.

#13 subaruloverbrad

subaruloverbrad

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • ABINGDON

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:43 PM

my hitch is a custom 2"reciever and the heavest thing i have pulled with it is an 1992 legacy. That was when it had the 4"lift and ea82 single range 5 speed With 31x10.50 tires. I didnt get over 55 on the interstate and pulled it about 100 miles non-stop. had no problems other than sway.

#14 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:00 AM

curb weight of gen2 ranges 2020-2310

curb weight of gen3 ranges 2220-2880

#15 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,259 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:04 PM

lol,my bad edit:3000lbs

you must have high end brakes. even so, 65-80= not smart.

No offense dude, but you have no clue what you're talking about. I've been towing this trailer with my soob for 9 years

65-80 was fine. Obviously, a few curvy and steep section of Montana and Idaho I had to go a tad slower for safety. And at no point in the trip was I tailgating anyone, or driving without enough caution. I know HOW to drive with a trailer, not just "how fast" That is the key. Also, I do have good brakes, 4 wheel disk. New tires on the trailer with freshly regreased wheel bearings.

#16 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:32 PM

i have the same setup as mentioed above on my sedan, with a swapped in dual range 5s-d, amnd i tow whole cars more often than anything.

i towed my rx from Fort Wayne, IN thru Chicago to Milwaukee, wi with the same hitch. its a little bit a pain in the rump roast to drive but this is one of those things you dont want to go doing unless you can handle your car end excercise your experience in towing.

i have done donuts towing trailers as well.

#17 silverracerkh2005

silverracerkh2005

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • SOUTH LAKE TAHOE

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:36 PM

My coment was more for the thread starter, than you (Gloyale). you obviosly know more about towing, and have a safer setup than the thread starter. I still don't think someone who is not familiar with towing and dosent have hq brakes should exeed the trailers advised limit (55 mph).

#18 BlueTrain

BlueTrain

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • MisSOULa

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:12 PM

My coment was more for the thread starter, than you (Gloyale). you obviosly know more about towing, and have a safer setup than the thread starter. I still don't think someone who is not familiar with towing and dosent have hq brakes should exeed the trailers advised limit (55 mph).

nice retraction..:rolleyes:

#19 silverracerkh2005

silverracerkh2005

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • SOUTH LAKE TAHOE

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:30 PM

BlueTrain=Quote:
Originally Posted by silverracerkh2005

nice retraction..:rolleyes:

i've desided I don't like you blue. up yours

#20 subaruguru

subaruguru

Scammer

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • Yakima Wa,

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:35 AM

well the biggest thing i have pulled with my roo befor i put a good clutch in it was on pavement a 3/4 ton chevy suburban died for a reson i cant recall but yea towed it a few blocks granted i was in four low and could only use first and second gear we did it. of couarse i do havea new clutch now so idk what i could pull.

#21 silverracerkh2005

silverracerkh2005

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • SOUTH LAKE TAHOE

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:55 AM

I pulled an outback once. my dad has a suburban,one day the rear end fell apart then the back wheels and axle came out. he put it in 4 wheel and pulled it home(he was only a block away). but then i went and put the parts he lost (including the wheels and tires).i found it funny cause I as always hearing how it was better than my gl. lol

#22 silverracerkh2005

silverracerkh2005

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • SOUTH LAKE TAHOE

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:56 AM

edit was supposed to read i put the parts in my gl.

#23 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:26 AM

drive it till the wheels fall off :lol:

#24 silverracerkh2005

silverracerkh2005

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • SOUTH LAKE TAHOE

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:48 PM

lol,+ it only had about a 100000 miles on it. every gm car we have ever had has had major problem and left us stranded. he still buys gmc/chevy. thats 1 reson i buy ru's.also my mom and uncle now drive ru's. lol

#25 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:55 PM

I wouldnt tow anything but a lawn mower with a Subaru.

1) The Brakes on your Subaru suck. They do a good job stopping your wagon, but anything past that is asking for trouble.

2) They are FWD Vehicles. You put tongue wieght on the rear end, you remove wieght from the front where your drive axle is... increasing understeer and decreasing braking performance.

I know alot of people are going to reply to this with "Your wrong, I've towed...." or "I hauled ______ and had no problems." etc.

Regardless, its not safe, and I wouldnt suggest it.

-Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users