Ultimate Subaru Message Board

towing

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the court of law going to look at for you killing someone while towing anything with a 1983 Subaru Wagon? It's going to look at the specs of the car during the time of manufacture.

the owners manual says and i quote:

"towing with your subaru is not recommended"

Sure, you can tow anything with your Subaru, but when someone gets killed for your ignorance (no matter what crazy trailer towing skills you have) you're more than likely going to be found at fault and probably thrown in jail.

I'm not sure about other states, but we have regulations that state what is needed to tow what weights and what axles and what not. Enforced by the weighmaster.

But what you do is your business. It's your decision. I'm not saying I'm not perfect, I have towed a dirtbike with a trailer behind my 87 Turbo Wagon and 83 wagon, but I did accept the responsibility for it.

Johnson']What is the court of law going to look at for you killing someone while towing anything with a 1983 Subaru Wagon?

... but when someone gets killed for your ignorance .....you're more than likely going to be found at fault and probably thrown in jail.

i have been thrown in jail for things WAY less worse. :Flame:

Johnson']What is the court of law going to look at for you killing someone while towing anything with a 1983 Subaru Wagon? It's going to look at the specs of the car during the time of manufacture.

Firstly' date=' unless there is Alcohol involved or [i']gross[/i] negligence, no one will go to jail for a car accident(if they have insurance)

But if there was question about safety of towing a trailer,they would not go soley by manufacturers specs. They would go by a formula for figuring safe towing weight. Otherwise U-haul would not legally be able to sell you a hitch for you're '93 geo metro or Honda civic. Because those cars like almost all passenger cars are "not recommended for towing" by the manufacturer. But they can put a hitch on you're car. But they tell you It will have a weight limit. And that weight limit is what they would go by. I am well within the laws of at least this state when towing my 1500lb trailer.

No one is going to go to jail unless there was provable negligance, like going too fast, no lights, reckless passing, some other thing like that.

5 trips cross country and hundreds of around town trips and no deaths yet.

All it takes is attention to the road, awareness of the extra weight, and a heap of caution.

• 2 weeks later...

the owners manual says and i quote:

"towing with your subaru is not recommended"

I suspect that is a USA legislation thing or something, because that does not appear in manuals from other countries. Mine, for example, is rated to tow 800kg unbraked, 1200kg braked.

I suspect that is a USA legislation thing or something, because that does not appear in manuals from other countries. Mine, for example, is rated to tow 800kg unbraked, 1200kg braked.

Well there are a lot less people there to hit, and that entire upside down thing makes the trailers lighter

:-p :clap::burnout:

nipper

• 5 months later...

www.scamptrailers.com

problem solved.

I was just thinking about this myself:

Johnson']What is the court of law going to look at for you killing someone while towing anything with a 1983 Subaru Wagon? It's going to look at the specs of the car during the time of manufacture.

Sure' date=' you can tow anything with your Subaru, but when someone gets killed for your ignorance (no matter what crazy trailer towing skills you have) you're more than likely going to be found at fault and probably thrown in jail.

I'm not sure about other states, but we have regulations that state what is needed to tow what weights and what axles and what not. Enforced by the weighmaster.

But what you do is your business. It's your decision. I'm not saying I'm not perfect, I have towed a dirtbike with a trailer behind my 87 Turbo Wagon and 83 wagon, but I did accept the responsibility for it.[/quote']