Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starts hard, runs rough, ECS lite on, runs great

An 83 GL EA81 Sta. Wag. Automatic

So this has got me a bit confused. First start of the day is really tough. Changed to manual choke, which helped at first. But now it is taking longer and longer to start when cold. Once started, it runs a bit rough, as if it is missing. Then when it warms up a bit AND ECS light comes on, it runs smooth. No missing, decent power, ( for a subie engine)

Plugs new, Wires, new exhaust from Cat back. (Problem was happening even before new exhaust.

This just seems backwards to me. I'd have thought that it would run worse when ECS light came on.

Any ideas? Hope the New Year is good to y'all. Thanks

The computer isn't bad - it just can't compensate for a poorly functioning sensor. Once it realizes that this sensor is out of spec, it ignores the input from it and runs in "limp mode".

I agree that you are probably looking at a temp sensor. They are around $35 to $50 depending on where you get one.

Check the codes first to determine the exact problem.

GD

Sounds like a temp sensor. The computer is for the feed-back carb. Fix the problem. Check the codes for other issues as well.

Yep, the same thing happened with my '83. Turned out to be the "coolant temperature sensor", which is not to be confused with the sensor that's plugged into the radiator. Can't remember where it's located on the engine (it was probably 150,000 miles ago), but IIRC it was an easy fix.

I concur with Ken.