Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T valves problem

I did rebuild EA82T. It wasnt'n my old engine - I bought it as a core just for rebuild. So I know nothing about it's past.... (unfortunately)

Heads were just plained - valves looked so nice that I decided not to touch it. I also left old lifters. After rebuilding engine had no compression at #2 cylinder and nearly no compression at #1. I took it of because I was sure it's lifters problem. I change all lifters and the problem stays.... No compression.

I investigated problem deeper and It is intake valves (both cylinders) problem. They are open all the time!!!!

Do you have any idea what I did wrong ? Maybe I changed someting or whatever....

Any IDEAS ????

Piotr

mayne they just stuck open.

since you got the heads on, try to tap or wiggle them free. spray parts cleaner and penetrating lube on the valve stemsthem.

once the engine runs, the oil flow and operation will free them up

i have seen them stuck open. tapped them and the freed up, but head were off when i did so

did the motor/heads sit for a while? with the intake off?

I am sure it's (was) OK.

Nevertheless - now - timing belts and valve cover are out.

I turn camshaft (by hand) to get intake valve closed. I put pressed air into spark hole and it goes freerly throught intake valve.

It is open all 360 deg. of turning

Sorry for my english...

Piotr

I just ran into this problem at my work last week on a 99 Crown Victoria cop car. There was no compression in one cylinder. I pulled off the intake manifold and when it cranked compression came back out through the intake port. The intake valve wasn't closing because it was dished. This makes the stem longer too. You probably have the same problem.