Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

adding a LSD to your old legacy

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mellow65

mellow65

Subaru, my drug of choice

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  • Portland

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:24 AM

Have you ever wanted a limited slip in your older legacy. Maybe for some off roading or just to have some bragging rights.

Here's what you do, go to your local newer salvage yard and get a rear end for a 02+ WRX wagon automatic.

Why that combo, a few reasons, one, yes you could get a LSD from an older 2.5rs, but chances are they would be higher miles and be driven pretty hard. Two, WRX automatics came with 4.11 gears (same as the old legacys) and had the vicious limited slip standard. And three, you should get the wagon axles because the wagons shared the same width as the legacys, where as the sedans had a wider track. Now I'm not 100% sure you can't use the sedans axles but I used the wagon axles and they worked great.

The only preparing you have to do to the rear end is swapping the input shaft flange to the one that was on your legacys rear end and that just takes a good impact gun or a big breaker bar. Other then that it's a direct bolt in swap.

One thing that got me was the two axles were different lengths, just by a little bit, maybe a 1/2". The longer one went on the passenger side. I figured that out by measuring from the rear end after it was mounted to the bearing in the hub and the passenger side was just a little bit farther away.

Another reason to get stuff from the automatic wagons, because they are not as desirable as the sedan stuff. I was able to get a 03 WRX rear end with 8k miles on it with axles for $300. Not to bad and I will never be putting as much power to it as the WRX was so I should last me a good long time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users