Ultimate Subaru Message Board

adding a LSD to your old legacy

Have you ever wanted a limited slip in your older legacy. Maybe for some off roading or just to have some bragging rights.

Here's what you do, go to your local newer salvage yard and get a rear end for a 02+ WRX wagon automatic.

Why that combo, a few reasons, one, yes you could get a LSD from an older 2.5rs, but chances are they would be higher miles and be driven pretty hard. Two, WRX automatics came with 4.11 gears (same as the old legacys) and had the vicious limited slip standard. And three, you should get the wagon axles because the wagons shared the same width as the legacys, where as the sedans had a wider track. Now I'm not 100% sure you can't use the sedans axles but I used the wagon axles and they worked great.

The only preparing you have to do to the rear end is swapping the input shaft flange to the one that was on your legacys rear end and that just takes a good impact gun or a big breaker bar. Other then that it's a direct bolt in swap.

One thing that got me was the two axles were different lengths, just by a little bit, maybe a 1/2". The longer one went on the passenger side. I figured that out by measuring from the rear end after it was mounted to the bearing in the hub and the passenger side was just a little bit farther away.

Another reason to get stuff from the automatic wagons, because they are not as desirable as the sedan stuff. I was able to get a 03 WRX rear end with 8k miles on it with axles for $300. Not to bad and I will never be putting as much power to it as the WRX was so I should last me a good long time.