Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1989 Syncro

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hawkins

Hawkins

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Akron

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:54 AM

I just bought a 1989 VW Syncro on New Years Eve. I am preparing to convert the VW engine to either the Subaru 2.2 L or the EG33 (SUX) 6 cylinder. I am looking for advice on how to prepare for this conversion.

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,541 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:25 AM

there are a couple of lists on yahoo that do these conversions. They are very popular. There is also a kit to help you.

nipper

#3 Hawkins

Hawkins

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Akron

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:03 PM

Thanks,
What do you mean by, lists that do the conversion? Where do I go on yahoo to find them?

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,541 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:17 PM

http://autos.groups....yguid=281753844
http://autos.groups....yguid=281753844

nipper

#5 Hawkins

Hawkins

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Akron

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:24 PM

I just found a 1990 2.2 FI with with 85,000 miles for $350.00.??

#6 kent

kent

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Concord

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:07 PM

I just found a 1990 2.2 FI with with 85,000 miles for $350.00.??

You need more than just the engine. You need the correct ECU, complete wiring harness, ignitor, main and fuel pump relays and more. The best place to start is by reviewing all the files in the Subaru/Vanagon yahoogroup and this site
http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/
The '90 engine is an OBDII engine, a little more work with the wiring harness. I have a 2.2L Vanaru Weekender. It runs great but I hear that for the Synchro, especially a Westy, the extra HP of the SOHC 2.5 is preferable.
However, the 2.2 is a great little engine. If it indeed only has 85K miles, that is right in the sweet spot.
-Kent
Concord, NC

#7 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,752 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:14 PM

The '90 engine is an OBDII engine, a little more work with the wiring harness.

Dude, 1990 is an OBDI or OBDZERO engine.

#8 SkankinPickle

SkankinPickle

Eat, Live, Breath Fuji

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:01 AM

Second that motion, OBDII didn't start until 1995 on legacys.

#9 kent

kent

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Concord

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:02 PM

Sorry, brain fart.

Hawkins, the 2.2 is a great engine but you might find it just barely adequate for a syncro. I have a 2.2 in my (lighter) 2WD Vanagon. It does fine but if you like a lot of acceleration you'd probably think it's a little wimpy. I'm looking for a 2000-2004 SOHC 2.5 for my second conversion. Nice torquey engine--ideal for a syncro, I would think. I will go to slightly larger tires, too. The six-cylinder is spendy but many guys are doing them.

#10 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,914 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:05 AM

I installed a rebuilt Ej22 with Delta Camshafts and it is pretty far from Wimpy in mine. Takes off HARD and never misses a beat while still getting over 22 MPG on its worst day. This is a 84 2wd full Westy.

Prep?
Install new fuel filter, all new heater and front radiator hoses and a new radiator. While installing the rad hoses in the front switch the inlet and oulet hoses for later.

#11 presslab

presslab

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 855 posts
  • N. California

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:16 AM

I have the EJ22 in my 2wd westy. Totally pleased with it. If you want 'extra' power, go with the 6. However I run mine up mountain passes in 3rd at 5000 RPM, 60 MPH, no prob.

Worst mileage was WOT all the way down I-5 to L.A. 14 MPG, 85 MPH, 15 MPH headwind. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users