Ultimate Subaru Message Board

downpipe ?

I measured the downpipe diameter on my 87 turbowagon and it looked to be slightly less than 2.25 inches ID. I was wondering if this holds thoughout the pipe or not. The bottom end was still hooked up and was not easily unbolted. I'm trying to get the best flow for as cheap as possible. I was thinking of running the stock downpipe W/ staright pipe instead of cat with some grinding at the wastegate flange, custom 2.25" exhaust and no 2nd cat or muffler. Will this give good power or should i go ahead and fab up a custom downpipe?

The pipe is smaller inside. At the bend going down it gets smaller. My exhaust is just the first bend and then a pipe in place of the cat. The pipe ends there instead of bending back. No cat or muffler. It flows a lot better than just the cat and no muffler. It ended just before the second cat before I changed it. The downpipe cat muffles the sound and prevents flow a lot. I noticed an increase in power. I can hear the turbo real good too. I also get a pop and a flame when I let off the gas.

If you'd like... i have the jig to make a cat-less downpipe for all EA82T Cars.

It is all stainless steel, and whatever tubing size you use (we use 2.5 on our race cars.

a catless downpipe will yield a nice increase in horsepower. and make it a little bit louder.

If you aren't affraid to go loud, we can also make you up a complete exhaust system. Cat-less down pipe, Mid-pipe (with cat if you wish), and a nice Performance Muffler in the rear. Will all bolt up using factory hangers, sound good, outlast the car (stainless) and give you a nice hp increase