Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'01 LL Bean Outback Catalytic Converter

i just posted this on another thread...i have an 05 with 128k miles and i think mine has gone bad too. i'm calling the dealer today to find out the cost and then my mr goodwrench will do it :) boy does that save a lot of $$ i HATE paying the dealer....

that said -- i love my subaru, but really dislike how so many of the parts are proprietary....i really dislike that!

i just posted this on another thread...i have an 05 with 128k miles and i think mine has gone bad too. i'm calling the dealer today to find out the cost and then my mr goodwrench will do it :) boy does that save a lot of $$ i HATE paying the dealer....

that said -- i love my subaru, but really dislike how so many of the parts are proprietary....i really dislike that!

No way an '05 converter should go bad with a piddling 130k on it.

What does a junkyard charge for an exhaust?

Dave

That's insane getting quoted $2,300 for a cat converter by a Subie dealer. Talk about highway robbery! Last cat that I bought for a VW cost about $100from a family owned muffler shop. I would call muffler shops listed in the telephone yellow pages for quotes.

What does a junkyard charge for an exhaust?

Dave

They probably wouldn't sell the cat as it's illegal to reuse them.

My fiance's mother's 02 Impala had the cat go to poop on it with about the same amount of mileage, and she just drove in the city and rarely got it up to freeway speeds.

My fiance's mother's 02 Impala had the cat go to poop on it with about the same amount of mileage, and she just drove in the city and rarely got it up to freeway speeds.

I agree, wrecking yards cannot legally sell used cats. However, I frequented a wrecking yard to the point that I got to know the guys who do the dismanteling. When the boss wasn't looking, one of the guys torched off a cat for me. I gave the guy $10 under the table for his work, and got the hell out of the yard in a hurry before anyone spotted what we were up to. Sometimes you just get lucky and fortunate.

"I'm making a dual exhaust for my rally car and need a template"...

I have to assume you could bolt in a (or a pair of) "generic" converters, if you can still get 'em. Getting that 2nd O2 sensor to 'read right' might be a trick, though.

No way I could drop 2300, or even a grand, on a converter. Couldn't swing it at this point.

How much should it cost, really?

Dave

A point of comparison:

OK, I just called the local dealer parts department, and a new cat, parts only, for my 2000 OBW is $689.34, and that's list price - no discount. Yours is probably similar, which leaves 1610.66 for labor and incidentals. Even at the lawyerly rate of $200 per hour, I don't think it takes 8 hours to change this part.

Have you shopped around?

6 cylinder

This gal brings it to the dealer because the check engine light comes on. They say the CC is going poop. It will last a little while but needs replacing. $2300 to replace it.

Does that sound right?

Go someplace else and have the code read then post them here.

The very very first thing to look at and replace is the front O2 sensor. This is usually the cause 95% of the time for a failed cat code. replace the front O2 sensor with one from OE. This is something you should do anyway if your replacing the cat, so you have nothing to loose, and everything to gain.

I am curious, when was the last time this had a tuneup?

nipper