Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.5L camshaft/timing belt removal tools and questions

Guest theotherskip

i have a few questions regarding the timing belt and camshaft setup on the 2.5L ej25 engine from a 97 leagacy. first the tools. does anybody know the part number for the two tools to lock the two camshafts together on both sides? approx price? any other special tools necessary for removing the timing belt and heads?

from the way haynes explains it, it only says not to rotate the camshafts once you get the belt off. but reading the end wrench article on timing belt replacement, they say that some of the cams are under tension from the valve springs, and removing the belt will cause the cams to rotate, and valves to collide. if this is the case, how do you take the cam sprockets off? removing the sprockets would remove the tool, and cause the camshafts to rotate...

also...is it necessary to remove the cams to take the head off when you remove the engine from the car? i know you are trying to remove the heads while the engine is still in the car you have to remove the cams.

i know that the answer to these questions may become clear when i'm actually doing it, i am just trying to do as much legwork & research now to help avoid screwing anything up later.

thanks

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

If there are a coupla' spots between lobes/bearings across from each other that had room to clamp on some vise grips, you could clamp them on, zip tie or wire them together, and then remove the belt/gears.

just a wild idea

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest 99obw

I am pretty sure you don't need a tool to hold the cams. I never used one. The way I see it, if the cams are turning due to spring pressure, the valves are closing and moving away from each other.

I will almost guarantee that the left side cams will rotate once the belt is removed. Don't worry about it. The haynes manual will tell you which direction to turn them to realign them when reinstalling the belt.

The head bolts are under the cams.

99obw

Guest theotherskip

great - thanks for the answer. i know that they turn under spring pressure, but i wasn't sure if they would turn towards hitting each other or away. but it makes sense that they would turn towards closing.