Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Southeast Subaru Hotspot Located! (56K, Go See A Movie)

After some searching at the local junkyard for a replacement MAF for my 91 Legacy and turning up nothing, I gave my buddy at the Subaru parts department a call. I asked if he knew anything about where I would find one of these and he gave me the number to a place and told me to speak to the owner; about 60 miles away. Talked to the guy yesterday on the phone and had me to read the numbers off my mass air flow and asked which ones, when he said it should begin with something like "22680....” I instantly asked what he specialized in, only word said was "Subaru".

I talked it over with the fiancé and called my buddy Dusty and headed up at a 7 A.M. CST. On the way up we met a 06 STi driven by a guy that noticed Dusty's 02 WRX and almost broke his neck looking at us. Later we learned the STi belonged to the owner's son. We located this dealership looking establishment and in the process of doing a U-turn I seen a BRAT pulling out and going down the road. I was a little skeptical at first when I just seen about 12 wrecked Subarus out front. Talking with a man waiting to be picked up we learned that the owner of the place drove the 85 BRAT that just pulled out.

When he returned he led us back through the shop and I purchased the MAF and he allowed me to take pictures of the place. I learned that he started working for Subaru West in Knoxville back before Grayson bought it out and has worked on Subaru his entire career. When West shut down he got to keep pretty much anything that he could get his hands on. He allowed me to take pictures and I share them with the world now.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did, I came back home and went to work stress free.

His WRX that morning:

000_0021.jpg

His son's Impreza coupe with methanol injection and DOHC EJ25:

I about crapped my pants when I seen this:

101_0274.jpg

His BRAT:

It gets better:

Edited by Durania

He went behind his desk and handed me two 84 paint and upholstery brochures that were brand new and still in box, never been unfolded. Also, that is a tube of Subaru chapstick, not just a holder.

This is him:

His name is Danny Treece of City Limits Motors Inc. 2175 Seviers Blvd. Clinton TN, 37716. Awesome guy and knows his stuff from top to bottom.

Stopped at the dealer on the way back through and watched the DVD the salesmen watch to be informed about the new STi.

Edited by Durania

He said he was going to give the address to his son. I also informed him that he was sitting on a gold mine of parts, tools, and the factory service manuals were crazy.

I paid $75 for the MAF and it was pulled for me and he didn't even disconnect it from the upper air box so it made for a quick change over. I told him that I will be definitely be spending some more money here. That RX is was crazy as I never did expect to see one of them in this part of the country. Lord knows what he would charge for a EJ22 Jordan, but least you know where to find one already pulled. There is also a wide range of Justys there for people that are needing parts. The man has seen it all, FF-1's through STi.

:slobber: :slobber: :slobber::eek::clap: . Nice find!!!! Definitely try to get him here on the board so we can pick his brain. Do you know if he's willing to sell the FSMs and parts and ship?

I really doubt he would sell the FSM, but I am sure some form of shipping could be arranged.

• 2 weeks later...

This place is pretty cheap service wise too. I just called and asked what he would charge for timing belt change for my Legacy and it was $289, compared to the $500+ the dealer quoted me. Looks like I am going to be making another trip here soon.

I asked if he had been busy, said he was doing 2 headgasket jobs at once. Thats right, both on EJ25's.

I am still thrilled out it Zap! I have had mixed experiences with every junkyard around me and this was the first one that I had been to that I was welcomed with "open arms" (to quote a famous Journey song). Most people around here don't usually deal in them, its usually the big 3 American ones and alot of old D series Honda crap.