Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Block sealant

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Flow

Flow

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • Roy

Posted 16 December 2003 - 12:39 PM

So whats the preferred product for sealing the block back up. Permatex blue RTV? Thanks.

Dusty
----------------
'86 GL 4x4 Wagon

#2 Petersubaru

Petersubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • Sarnia Canada

Posted 16 December 2003 - 01:18 PM

I don't know what you mean by sealing up the motor...but if you mean to be putting the two block halves together....RTV is not recommended...it does not mix with oil,...is dangerous if a small piece gets into the bearing etc....I know in my gasket kits that the black RTV is always supplied, but I never use it...call up the Permatix people and have them recommend something other and better for your application

#3 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 16 December 2003 - 01:52 PM

you can ask ccrinc but from what i learned the permatex grey is the best stuff for the job.

#4 toybuilder

toybuilder

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • Longmont

Posted 16 December 2003 - 02:29 PM

I would also suggest using the Permatex Ultra Grey, for the block halves and the cam towers.

#5 ccrinc

ccrinc

The Subaru Whisperer

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • Denver, CO

Posted 16 December 2003 - 10:58 PM

Yep, that's what we use. Technically, Permatex 599 Ultra Gray. Also on practically all other mating surfaces: cam towers, etc.

Emily
http://www.ccrengines.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users