Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone running Dunlop SP60's All-seasons?

du_sp60_ci2_l.jpg

We had a set of BFG Traction T/A's and they SUCKED. Wore out fast, noisy, bad in snow, ice, slush and handled poorly. I want a all-season that will put up with our steep driveway in New York un-plowed with less than six inches. And help power through the trip to New Hampshire and Vermont mountains in snow storms. The tread on these caught my eye as a cheaper option than the Nokian WR's that are like $175 a peice around me! I can get these for $60 a peice!!:banana:

Have a look at this thread for some recent opinions on tyres:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82770&highlight=usaru

When I did a search for the Dulop SP60's only thread came up was in the off road board. I wanted to see if anyone was running these tires in a daily driver. They are S speed rated (112 MPH)and the GT Subaru for some stupid reason needs an H (130 MPH) speed rated tire. Yep, my 65 year old mother always breaking the ton and quarter for hours!!:lol:

I have always been a "dedicated winter tire" person, and as such, here is my .02

This past fall I put these babys on, and my subie is a snowmobile!

HANKOOK WINTER IPIKE

w409_tire_left.gif

They are inexpensive (Id quote you, but I dont know your tire size)

...and QUIET. Plus, I love the directional tire look.

Ive had 'em in deep snow, mud, and plenty of dirt roads. Heck, they are even decent on ICE. (and I didnt get mine studded)

I have considered the SP60s in the past though, as they looked like a good tire for the $$ ...but definitely more of a spring-summer-fall tire for me.

" When I did a search for the Dulop SP60's"

I have a set on my 03 VDC.

But mine are Dunlops

They ride harder than the

BadYears I took off.

But thats the price one pays for 60 series.

They are make a bit more road noise

but that's the price one pays for .....

Traction is very good but it's a VDC with LSD

so I can't comment on your car.

I have only had them for around 1 kmi so

I can not comment on the ware factor.

Price was right and they are mounted on a spare

set of GT alloys just for the winter months.

Sorry not much help.

" When I did a search for the Dulop SP60's"

They are make a bit more road noise

but that's the price one pays for .....

Traction is very good but it's a VDC with LSD

so I can't comment on your car.

The GT has a limited slip rear diff and 40/60 split all the time.

I have only had them for around 1 kmi so

I can not comment on the wear factor.

Price was right and they are mounted on a spare

set of GT alloys just for the winter months.

Yep would be on GT 16" wheels in size 205/55R16

quote]

I've been running BF goodrich traction T/A's on two of my cars for the past 5 years. Felt the snow traction was much better than many other all season tires we've tried. I dont think you can expect miraculous increase in snow traction if you stick to an allseason type tire.

Sounds like you need to get a set of Blizzaks and sacrifice your handling in order to get up your driveway.

I've been running BF goodrich traction T/A's on two of my cars for the past 5 years. Felt the snow traction was much better than many other all season tires we've tried. I dont think you can expect miraculous increase in snow traction if you stick to an allseason type tire.

Sounds like you need to get a set of Blizzaks and sacrifice your handling in order to get up your driveway.

I lived in Indiana for fours years while attending Purdue, then another two while working the family farm in Wolcott. I will have to say the snow I get here in Northern New England is much differant than what I had to deal with in Indiana. We had 22 inches of snow on the ground a few days ago!!:) I have had a set of cheap Mastercraft all-seasons on a Honda Civic that were GREAT in the snow. They don't make them in 205/55R16 unfortunaly.