Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rancho Shock Part number for 4" longer Shocks

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:49 PM

Ok, I looked and looked for this number, but couldn't find it. So I had to do the work myself (Wah wah).

Here is the Rancho Part Number to the 4" longer shock that fits the ea81. RS5241

#2 michael appel

michael appel

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 779 posts
  • wilsonville Or

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:53 PM

1980 thru 1995 toyota shocks work to 4x4 mini trucks that is the four runner and landcruiser need a little fab also I heard tru the grapevine samurai shocks do to

#3 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:14 PM

the shock itself is a pretty generic design.

but the listed rancho part number (or at least the RC counterpart) has a bracket on the top that will mount to the stock mounts almost perfectly. zero modification required.

My buddy wanted new, longer rear shocks for his brat. we looked up the Rancho 5241, turns out to be the part for a mildly (1-3" IIRC) lifted TJ wrangler. so we cross-referenced it to application charts for other things, and got the cheaper Rough Country versions. looks like they'll work wonderfully (although we haven't finished the rest of the lift yet, so we haven't actually installed them)

#4 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,754 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:54 PM

zero modification required.

On an EA81 you have to enlarge the bolt cut outs to fit the larger bolts for the upper mount. The lower mount has a larger hole and a smaller factory bolt. I cut up some aluminum cans to make the shims. Three layers worked for me, but if anyone has had different results, please speak up.

#5 slideshow86

slideshow86

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Olympia

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:34 AM

Thanks for the find guys! Saves me alot of time.

Carfreak- Hammer out the top mount and lower spacer out of the stock shocks. Put these in the urathane bushing instead of the ones they give you. This way you theres no drilling and you know theres enough surface there. The lower spacer they gave you is standard, you want to use your stock metric one. Thats why theres slop.

#6 3eyedwagon

3eyedwagon

Build it, don't buy it!

• Members
  • 708 posts
  • Apache Junction

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:40 PM

Not to hi-jack your thread; but I was wondering if anyone knew of any auto-parts stores brands of air shocks that spin/rotate. I recently tried to buy a set of air shocks for my wagon, but the air bladder was glued to the inside of the shock tubes, preventing them from spinning. Since the top mount point, and lower mount point are rotated 90* from each other the shock needs to be able to turn.

My buddy has a set that are for a Landcruiser, and they work great on his 6" lift. Unfortunately, he can't remember where he got them. Also, the casting numbers on the shock body were no use for a cross-reference number. I would love to run air shocks on the rear of my wagon as a way to easily adjust my rear CV-axle angle, but have not been able to find an air shock that rotates.

Anyone have any suggestions as to a name brand of air shock, or parts store that carries air shocks that spin/rotate freely?

#7 s'ko

s'ko

RIP

• Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:56 AM

the shock itself is a pretty generic design.

but the listed rancho part number (or at least the RC counterpart) has a bracket on the top that will mount to the stock mounts almost perfectly. zero modification required.

My buddy wanted new, longer rear shocks for his brat. we looked up the Rancho 5241, turns out to be the part for a mildly (1-3" IIRC) lifted TJ wrangler. so we cross-referenced it to application charts for other things, and got the cheaper Rough Country versions. looks like they'll work wonderfully (although we haven't finished the rest of the lift yet, so we haven't actually installed them)

TTT
Chuks... how many inches of lift your friend have? I am looking to replace my rear shocks soon b/c they are way too soft. I have a 5 inch lift, but plan to redo it to 4.

BW

#8 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:43 PM

he's reclocked one notch, with the torsion bar mounted stock. which puts it a bit over 4" (of course, it's an ongoing project, we haven't gotten the front done yet, so that may settle once he starts driving it).

these shocks will be about perfect, as they bottom out just as the stock tire touches the stock fender. but there will be some definite limiting straps involved to keep from blowing up axles, as they offer a ton of droop travel!

here it is:
Posted Image

also, I just realized, that post was made before we actually installed them. they're now in. perfect fit. the bracket that came on the shocks could have been made to work, but a few minutes using a bench vise as a mini-press, we put the subaru upper bracket in the bushing on these shocks, which made them completely bolt-on.

also, the Rough Country ones we used came with steel sleeves for the lower mount, which made for a snug fit on the subaru bolt.

#9 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,149 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:04 PM

good idea on some limiting straps...

I ran a clocked torsion bar, on top of a 3" lift, and used these shocks.
Also carried heavy loads at time, and some good wheeling. after 6,000 miles, one of my torsion bars twisted in half...

#10 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,448 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:11 PM

he's reclocked one notch, with the torsion bar mounted stock. which puts it a bit over 4" (of course, it's an ongoing project, we haven't gotten the front done yet, so that may settle once he starts driving it).

these shocks will be about perfect, as they bottom out just as the stock tire touches the stock fender. but there will be some definite limiting straps involved to keep from blowing up axles, as they offer a ton of droop travel!

here it is:
Posted Image

also, I just realized, that post was made before we actually installed them. they're now in. perfect fit. the bracket that came on the shocks could have been made to work, but a few minutes using a bench vise as a mini-press, we put the subaru upper bracket in the bushing on these shocks, which made them completely bolt-on.

also, the Rough Country ones we used came with steel sleeves for the lower mount, which made for a snug fit on the subaru bolt.

How do you plan on doing the limiting straps?? I have just installed a 3'' lift and have the torsion bars cranked and I installed the ranchos and found that they have a lot of droop! but the axles don't bind and they don't pull out so I will hope for the best

#11 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:45 AM

no plan yet. this is a very long term project, and while it will probably see the street before too long, it'll be awhile before it gets wheeled hard enough to need limiting straps.

#12 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,448 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 03 September 2008 - 06:32 AM

no plan yet. this is a very long term project, and while it will probably see the street before too long, it'll be awhile before it gets wheeled hard enough to need limiting straps.

Thats what I'm thinkin too, I'm just going to drive her and hope for the best! Good luck!:headbang:

#13 scoobyclimbs

scoobyclimbs

Attack of the madaxeman..

• Members
  • 862 posts
  • Newberg

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:42 AM

Johnson;691527']Ok, I looked and looked for this number, but couldn't find it. So I had to do the work myself (Wah wah).

Here is the Rancho Part Number to the 4" longer shock that fits the ea81. RS5241

Thx for all your research ! It made my SJR 4" lift on my hatch much less trouble free! BUMP...:banana:

Posted Image

#14 Greenley

Greenley

EA81 Nut

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • Gardnerville : Reno/Tahoe

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:31 PM

Any problems associated with the install of these shocks, yet ??

#15 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,448 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:51 PM

Any problems associated with the install of these shocks, yet ??

I had to shim the lower holes on the shocks so that the bolt would not be loose when bolting it in the stock location and on the top I had drill out the holes to get the bolts through! But not too bad pretty easy install! And I only paid $20 for mine!!!

#16 Greenley

Greenley

EA81 Nut

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • Gardnerville : Reno/Tahoe

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:06 PM

I guess i meant how are your rear axles being treated while wheeling these suckers. Anything broken due to overextension, other than McBrat's twisted torsion bar!??!

#17 thermalsurfing1

thermalsurfing1

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Beaverton

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:15 PM

i

Edited by thermalsurfing1, 10 December 2008 - 10:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users