Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rancho Shock Part number for 4" longer Shocks

[HTi]Johnson

the shock itself is a pretty generic design.

but the listed rancho part number (or at least the RC counterpart) has a bracket on the top that will mount to the stock mounts almost perfectly. zero modification required.

My buddy wanted new, longer rear shocks for his brat. we looked up the Rancho 5241, turns out to be the part for a mildly (1-3" IIRC) lifted TJ wrangler. so we cross-referenced it to application charts for other things, and got the cheaper Rough Country versions. looks like they'll work wonderfully (although we haven't finished the rest of the lift yet, so we haven't actually installed them)

zero modification required.

On an EA81 you have to enlarge the bolt cut outs to fit the larger bolts for the upper mount. The lower mount has a larger hole and a smaller factory bolt. I cut up some aluminum cans to make the shims. Three layers worked for me, but if anyone has had different results, please speak up.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the find guys! Saves me alot of time.

Carfreak- Hammer out the top mount and lower spacer out of the stock shocks. Put these in the urathane bushing instead of the ones they give you. This way you theres no drilling and you know theres enough surface there. The lower spacer they gave you is standard, you want to use your stock metric one. Thats why theres slop.

Not to hi-jack your thread; but I was wondering if anyone knew of any auto-parts stores brands of air shocks that spin/rotate. I recently tried to buy a set of air shocks for my wagon, but the air bladder was glued to the inside of the shock tubes, preventing them from spinning. Since the top mount point, and lower mount point are rotated 90* from each other the shock needs to be able to turn.

My buddy has a set that are for a Landcruiser, and they work great on his 6" lift. Unfortunately, he can't remember where he got them. Also, the casting numbers on the shock body were no use for a cross-reference number. I would love to run air shocks on the rear of my wagon as a way to easily adjust my rear CV-axle angle, but have not been able to find an air shock that rotates.

Anyone have any suggestions as to a name brand of air shock, or parts store that carries air shocks that spin/rotate freely?

• 6 months later...
the shock itself is a pretty generic design.

but the listed rancho part number (or at least the RC counterpart) has a bracket on the top that will mount to the stock mounts almost perfectly. zero modification required.

My buddy wanted new, longer rear shocks for his brat. we looked up the Rancho 5241, turns out to be the part for a mildly (1-3" IIRC) lifted TJ wrangler. so we cross-referenced it to application charts for other things, and got the cheaper Rough Country versions. looks like they'll work wonderfully (although we haven't finished the rest of the lift yet, so we haven't actually installed them)

TTT

Chuks... how many inches of lift your friend have? I am looking to replace my rear shocks soon b/c they are way too soft. I have a 5 inch lift, but plan to redo it to 4.

BW

he's reclocked one notch, with the torsion bar mounted stock. which puts it a bit over 4" (of course, it's an ongoing project, we haven't gotten the front done yet, so that may settle once he starts driving it).

these shocks will be about perfect, as they bottom out just as the stock tire touches the stock fender. but there will be some definite limiting straps involved to keep from blowing up axles, as they offer a ton of droop travel!

here it is:

n199103953_32463500_3327.jpg

also, I just realized, that post was made before we actually installed them. they're now in. perfect fit. the bracket that came on the shocks could have been made to work, but a few minutes using a bench vise as a mini-press, we put the subaru upper bracket in the bushing on these shocks, which made them completely bolt-on.

also, the Rough Country ones we used came with steel sleeves for the lower mount, which made for a snug fit on the subaru bolt.

he's reclocked one notch, with the torsion bar mounted stock. which puts it a bit over 4" (of course, it's an ongoing project, we haven't gotten the front done yet, so that may settle once he starts driving it).

these shocks will be about perfect, as they bottom out just as the stock tire touches the stock fender. but there will be some definite limiting straps involved to keep from blowing up axles, as they offer a ton of droop travel!

here it is:

n199103953_32463500_3327.jpg

also, I just realized, that post was made before we actually installed them. they're now in. perfect fit. the bracket that came on the shocks could have been made to work, but a few minutes using a bench vise as a mini-press, we put the subaru upper bracket in the bushing on these shocks, which made them completely bolt-on.

also, the Rough Country ones we used came with steel sleeves for the lower mount, which made for a snug fit on the subaru bolt.

How do you plan on doing the limiting straps?? I have just installed a 3'' lift and have the torsion bars cranked and I installed the ranchos and found that they have a lot of droop! but the axles don't bind and they don't pull out so I will hope for the best

no plan yet. this is a very long term project, and while it will probably see the street before too long, it'll be awhile before it gets wheeled hard enough to need limiting straps.

Thats what I'm thinkin too, I'm just going to drive her and hope for the best! Good luck!:headbang:

• 2 months later...
Johnson;691527']Ok' date=' I looked and looked for this number, but couldn't find it. So I had to do the work myself (Wah wah).

Here is the Rancho Part Number to the 4" longer shock that fits the ea81. RS5241[/quote']

Thx for all your research ! It made my SJR 4" lift on my hatch much less trouble free! BUMP...:banana:

rearaxlefulltravel.jpg

Any problems associated with the install of these shocks, yet ??

I had to shim the lower holes on the shocks so that the bolt would not be loose when bolting it in the stock location and on the top I had drill out the holes to get the bolts through! But not too bad pretty easy install! And I only paid $20 for mine!!!

• 3 weeks later...