Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 subaru dl hatchback Water in oil!! help!

A shot in the dark, with the minimal information we've got. Possibly it wasn't the water pump at all, and it was a bad headgasket? I might be way ahead of myself here, +1 on more info on the car. What happened that you knew the water pump was bad, motor and mileage?

Well it has a timing belt! I bought the car and the lady said it ran when she parked it. The water pump is bad because water was leaking out the bearing in the front...:-\ it dont have a hole lot of miles dont no exact milage. but we poured water into the radaitor and it ran right out the oil pan!!:slobber:

Might have popped some of the freeze plugs out of the heads. Start figureing on a head gasket job and inspect carefully as you go.

Technically your 88 is not a "Hatchback". It's refered to as a "3 Door Coupe". While it *is* a hatch it needs to be distinguished from the EA81 Hatchback, which was still being produced in 88. The EA81's came first, so the Hatchback label was already taken. For clarity here and elsewhere you should start calling it an EA82 3 Door Coupe.

GD

For clarity here and elsewhere you should start calling it an EA82 3 Door Coupe.

GD

And look up all you're parts(except body) for a Wagon. As lot's of parts places have all Subarus of that vintage listed as "1800"s, and often the only distinction is when they ask if it's a 3 door(which they actually mean the hatch, EA81) or a Wagon(EA82)

But all the wagons of that year are EA82. That's what, you need are EA82 parts.