Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another 1986 GL Sedan question-door locks

this is a Subaru "quirk". there is nothing you can do about it, no changes can be made, short of completely rewiring the lock system....it is kind of a "failsafe" setup to hopefully prevent you from locking your keys in the car

if you do not wish to use the key to lock your car (which by the way, the drivers side controls ALL locks if it is working properly) you can try this...

once everyone is out of the car and all other doors are closed, depress the lock switch on the drivers door to "lock" the doors, hold the outside door handle in the "up" (open) position and shut the door. doors "should" remain locked. this little trick worked on my 89 GL, also works on the 90 Legacy...not sure if it will work on your 86, but worth a try if you are so inclined.

this is a Subaru "quirk". there is nothing you can do about it, no changes can be made, short of completely rewiring the lock system....it is kind of a "failsafe" setup to hopefully prevent you from locking your keys in the car

if you do not wish to use the key to lock your car (which by the way, the drivers side controls ALL locks if it is working properly) you can try this...

once everyone is out of the car and all other doors are closed, depress the lock switch on the drivers door to "lock" the doors, hold the outside door handle in the "up" (open) position and shut the door. doors "should" remain locked. this little trick worked on my 89 GL, also works on the 90 Legacy...not sure if it will work on your 86, but worth a try if you are so inclined.

Actually for a while that was standard foreign car procedure for locking the car.

I am prety sure thats even in the owners manual, if anyone still has one.

And yes it is to make you stop and think if you have the key or not.

nipper

I'm pretty sure it explains this in the owners manual if you still have it. Holding the handle up is the key. I find it a usefull feature because when you have that last minute thought as you swing the door shut of "oh darn, I think I left the keys in it", you just let go of the handle, and the door doesn't lock as it slams shut.

It could be more of a PITA, on honda's to use the interior lock lever while the door is open, you have to hold the interior door handle in the open position while you flip the lock shut.

my 75 datsun will not let the door lock, unless the door is completely closed. That means you are either inside pressing the thing down, or outside with the key, with the door shut. You *could* theoretically still lock the keys in the car, by opening the hatch, locking the hatch button, throwing the keys inside, then closing the hatch.. :rolleyes:

I'm somewhat famous for locking my keys in a car - when I was driving American iron I seemed to lock my keys in the car every couple of months. When I started driving Volkswagens insead, I got used to using the key to lock the doors (as you can't or at least couldn't lock the door and then close it on a 'dub) - so I find the Subaru's design to be really nice, since I can secure all four doors with a single twist of the key, and that key is in my pocket, instead of the ignition. But reading the explanation of holding the door handle up explaned to me, at long last, how my daughter managed to lock the keys in the Loyale a couple weeks ago ...

the car is designed this way. i learned about this trick with most imports working at a used carlots. even the 2000 mitsubishi mirage does this.

in contrary, if you try do do this trick without the door locked, the door wont latch shut, unless it is locked.

all the doors unlock with the front driver so if you forgot to lif the handle while closing, that is why all the door s unlock. if this were the passenger door, it would only affect that door

and one more thing before you notice and ask about it, you will notice a

'door lock' light on the dash. this is simply to remind you that the doors are not locked(whiel in the car, child safety like feature. lock the doors and it goes away.

also the rear door s have a switch near the striker for rear child safety lockouts, to prevent the door from opening on the inside.