Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cooper Tires

Are they crap? I owned pickup trucks for the last 10 years, usually ran BF Goodrich AT's on them and never had one flat tire, even when I had a screw in one for a year. I bought my Subaru just over a year ago, it has Cooper snow tires (not sure exactly what model right now). I've had 6 flats fixed since then; 2 in the last week. Sometimes I've found screws or nails, but this time and a couple others, nothing. Do I just have bad luck? I'm getting sick of putting my spare on & dropping it off at the shop.

I don't drive in construction areas, and haven't even really taken it offroading much, compared to what I did with my truck.

Yeah, turns out there was another nail in it....either I've got some bad karma coming back to me, or somebody's planting nails under my tires...guess that could be bad karma either way..I'm going to start checking in front of or(depending) behind my tires before I leave places. If that's not it, I guess it's just bad luck. I'm getting fast at changing tires, though!

+1 for Coopers.

I was in a budget pinch, and bought a set of "Dayton" tire for my GL turbo. With a so called "Ride Quality Gauranty". They handled so poorly I thought I had 4 flats driving a barge. They squealed going around corners in town at 15-20 mph. People would turn to look at the guy "hot roding" around town, even though I was doing the speed limit or less.

I'd driven less than 30 miles on them, when I decided to go to the Tire Store for a refund on the Daytons. I Asked them if they could order me some Coopers and pricematch the other place I found them(which was almost excactly what the daytons cost). They said no. They said they had some other brands that where more expensive that I could try. I might be more happy with them. But It would cost more.

To me, this boiled down to the Gaurauntee being "If you're not happy, spend more money". Which didn't seem right. I asked to see the specifics, in writing, for their garauntee. They could not produce any, and after threatening to take that info to the BBB and the "tire store" corporate office, they refunded my money and took back there tires.

I sourced some Coopers in the same size and pricerange (TrendSetter SE?) from a different store. The difference was amazing. Coopers had a stiffer sidewall, and more grip. No Squealing. Coopers FTW

I've had nothing but good experiences with Cooper tires.

And even better, the place where I always go to get them has been great with any warrany issues.

Case in point (Sorry if a bit off-topic) Had Cooper's on my daughter's car. Only 2-3 weeks old and she managed to run one in to a curb and it developed a small hole on the sidewall. Didn't want to plug it, so took it back for a replacement, expecting to pay full price. Salesman looked at it, (and it was pretty obvious that it wasn't product defect) but looked up receipt and date of purchase. "No problem, still under warranty." Ended up with new tire that cost only $ 3.+

So Cooper's get my vote.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Cooper tires.

And even better, the place where I always go to get them has been great with any warrany issues.

Case in point (Sorry if a bit off-topic) Had Cooper's on my daughter's car. Only 2-3 weeks old and she managed to run one in to a curb and it developed a small hole on the sidewall. Didn't want to plug it, so took it back for a replacement, expecting to pay full price. Salesman looked at it, (and it was pretty obvious that it wasn't product defect) but looked up receipt and date of purchase. "No problem, still under warranty." Ended up with new tire that cost only $ 3.+

So Cooper's get my vote.

+1 to this.

It was night and day the attitudes of the Cooper Dealer and the one I had to return the Daytons too.