Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what fix a flat does to an axle (funny story, sorry no pics tho)

84 GL EA81, lifted, big tires, etc..

Like most people with big tires, we don't carry a spare under the hood, so I use this area to carry my tool bag, two gallons of mixed coolant, oil, and yes, fix-a-flat..

I usually bungee it all in, but some reason I was brain dead on a certain day.

I have been driving all over hell and back, and enjoying life and heard an explosion from under the hood.. the car was running fine, and I was on the interstate so I did not pay much mind at the time, til I got off.

I pulled it into a parking lot and opened the hood.. I wish I would have taken a picture, cause this is funny..

a can of fix-a-flat had fallen off the shelf and landed on top of the axle and had been sitting there for quite some time.. having the inner DOJ rubbing it for a bit (in fact it was still there when I investigated) It had heated the can up to the point that the bottom had blown completely off the can, and get this, actually blew the friggin axle boot completey off the inner DOJ... now you can imagine the mess under there.. white fix a flat foam everywhere,, and I mean everywhere, and then the grease on top of that..

I drove the car 400 miles to get it home that next day, since the axle was really in good shape, and not clicking, and I had a warranty on it anyways..

I changed it out last weekend with another autozone axle that did not cost me anything (I know they are crap, but I can change in less than 2 hours and I had a warranty on it)..

I thought I would share this with you... seriously, I wish I thought to take a picture.. it is soo stupid that you can't but help to laugh.. and if you knew my luck lately, you would think I was gonna just lose it..

/mike