Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and as usually for the European market, a 2.0L

I wonder what they'll offer in the US--the 2.0 that they have up and running? Something bigger? Since it's turbocharged the smaller engine certainly has respectable numbers.

Just wish Subaru would share more!

Limey Alert:grin: :

Since it's a UK mag, I'm afraid the gallons are IMPERIAL, not US. So you knock off about 20% off the UK mpg figures...

Sweet car though. As much as I love the new Legacy(er, Outback) turbos, I couldn't accept the abyssmal gas mileage my leadfoot driving would product. This oil burner looks promising. Hopefully the torque will makeup for the lower horsepower figures.

I just hope Subaru doesn't pull an Oldsmobile, for us older farts who remember...

Limey Alert:grin: :

Since it's a UK mag, I'm afraid the gallons are IMPERIAL, not US. So you knock off about 20% off the UK mpg figures...

Sweet car though. As much as I love the new Legacy(er, Outback) turbos, I couldn't accept the abyssmal gas mileage my leadfoot driving would product. This oil burner looks promising. Hopefully the torque will makeup for the lower horsepower figures.

I just hope Subaru doesn't pull an Oldsmobile, for us older farts who remember...

On the outback board the conversion works out to 39 mpg. Thats still better thern Blu's 21 mpg combined.

nipper

Old guy scratches head.

His turbocharged Legacy gives 38mpg Highway, gasoline here costs $1.10 a liter (yesterday), or $4.95 an imperial gallon. (.13/mile)

A diesel @ 49mpg, diesel here costing $1.42 a liter (yesterday), or $6.39 an imperial gallon. (.13/mile)

Ok, show me the beef?

Old guy scratches head.

His turbocharged Legacy gives 38mpg Highway, gasoline here costs $1.10 a liter (yesterday), or $4.95 an imperial gallon. (.13/mile)

A diesel @ 49mpg, diesel here costing $1.42 a liter (yesterday), or $6.39 an imperial gallon. (.13/mile)

Ok, show me the beef?

botom end torque.

Here in the USA where legacys get 21/28 its a huge difference.

nipper

Nipper:

I am not saying you will not save money (I ran a VW diesel on stove oil for a couple of years), but are you going to save enough to merit?

I just gave this speech on outback board.

*ahem* :brow:

now where is that soap box .....

There comes the point where you have to stop looking at memememe and think ususus (not meaning the usa, but the society in general). We are using too much oil. We need to start doing things to reduce consumption, and yes its going to hurt. It's either going to hurt today, or its going to hurt tommorrow, but its going to hurt. It's much better to hurt today when you can adapt and do it by choice, then tomorrow when you dont know what your future is and you can't control it..

One thing guarenteed, cost of oil is going up over the long run (well that and death and taxes).

Personal payback will be moot point in the very near future, if not now.

Personally I dont look at the payback for the car, i look at the gas mileage, and 40mpg is much better then the 21 Blu gets combined. As far as the cost, generally outbacks are much more expensive over seas then they are here to begin with (eidt, the original questioner was from the land of imperial gallons).

nipper

*puts soap box away*

The real appeal of the diesel engine is the growing availability of BIODIESEL:clap:

And, for the truely committed(or commitable) you can add a parallel Waste Vegetable Oil (WVO) fuel delivery system. It allows you to draw directly from waste cooking oil stock and run it.

It is a piggy back system that is switched on after starting and warming. The Original Diesel fuel system is maintained, and commercial fuel can still be used as much as desired.

There comes the point where you have to stop looking at memememe and think ususus (not meaning the usa, but the society in general). We are using too much oil. We need to start doing things to reduce consumption, and yes its going to hurt. It's either going to hurt today, or its going to hurt tommorrow, but its going to hurt. It's much better to hurt today when you can adapt and do it by choice, then tomorrow when you dont know what your future is and you can't control it..

I agree. One thing I don't know the particulars of and hope you can help us all with is: How much more crude oil does it take to make a gallon of diesel fuel as compared to gasoline? I know it's more, but can't recall how much. IOW, how many miles per gallon of crude do these mpg figures work out to?

I agree. One thing I don't know the particulars of and hope you can help us all with is: How much more crude oil does it take to make a gallon of diesel fuel as compared to gasoline? I know it's more, but can't recall how much. IOW, how many miles per gallon of crude do these mpg figures work out to?

BIODIESEL!!!!!! 100% renewable, No crude(read:war) required

Funny thing about crude oil, the production of it really is that horrible, as it uses its own waste products to keep the refining going. It's actually fairly clean as it sits, the problem is when we start consuming it.

http://www.gravmag.com/oil.html

( i got the exact breakdown from another site, as it was more detailed. The above link is just interesting)

gasoline

distillate fuel oil

(Includes both home heating oil and diesel fuel)

kerosene-type jet fuel

residual fuel oil

(Heavy oils used as fuels in industry, marine transportation and for electric power generation)

liquefied refinery gasses

still gas

coke

asphalt and road oil

petrochemical feedstocks

lubricants

kerosene

other

+1

How much more crude oil does it take to make a gallon of diesel fuel as compared to gasoline? I know it's more, but can't recall how much.

Can't answer your question bulwnkl but you're right, less diesel than gasoline is captured from a barrel of crude.

Nipper's list shows what refiners generally put out and that is something that is market-driven. There are other factors to consider however:

1) The makeup of the crude oil stock--light sweet will yield more light distillates like gasoline than will heavy sour.

2) Refiners can determine the ratio of the final product to a certain degree, and will obviously make as much gasoline as possible to meet current market demands.

3) Diesel contains more potential energy per unit volume than gasoline.

4) Diesel engines operate more efficiently than gasoline engines.

I'm really excited by Subaru's decision to make diesels. Can't wait to hear some "real life" reviews of them . . . but I guess that's still a couple of years away!

Can't answer your question bulwnkl but you're right, less diesel than gasoline is captured from a barrel of crude.

Nipper's list shows what refiners generally put out and that is something that is market-driven. There are other factors to consider however:

1) The makeup of the crude oil stock--light sweet will yield more light distillates like gasoline than will heavy sour.

2) Refiners can determine the ratio of the final product to a certain degree, and will obviously make as much gasoline as possible to meet current market demands.

3) Diesel contains more potential energy per unit volume than gasoline.

4) Diesel engines operate more efficiently than gasoline engines.

I'm really excited by Subaru's decision to make diesels. Can't wait to hear some "real life" reviews of them . . . but I guess that's still a couple of years away!

Agreed. They can tweak the mix somewhat to get more or less. But if you understand that they are sort of cooking the oil to seperate it yout, thats about what they get out of a barrlel of oil.

nipper