Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my brat update...

thought I would fill everyone in on my lastest update... :banana:

Here is my last thread...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82814

I took care of a few spots of suface rust and then gave the brat a fresh coat of paint. Not very original, I've seen a few on the board this color, but it is certainly my favorite... Ultra-flat Olive Drab on the whole car. I sprayed below the trim line on the car and the entire bed with black beliner. I took off all the trim and badges, and masked everything else, so it looks good. This pic is before I reassembled it.

killing_machine.jpg

I really didn't like the shiney maroon, and although the old pictures make it look nice, the paint was piss poor. The green goes really well with my tan interior too.

Also put a set of nice studded snows on there with some wheels I painted black. As soon as I passed inspection, I removed my rear muffler at the flange. I welded a 2.5" straight exhaust that fits in the stock location and hangers. Now I can switch between the two when I need to. (for inspection) It sounds mean, I love it, not loud, just makes my 1.8 boxer sound more like a truck.

and last night, I fabbed this up. I really like the stock bumpers on the subie, but I wanted some protection for the directionals and headlights. I do a decent amount of off road/trail/smashing into snowbanks driving. As much as I would like a killer mad max bumper, it will have to wait until I put on a lift and bigger tires.

eye.jpg

err... excuse the road salt.... that would be the 6hr trip to burlington and back....

So for now, I bent up some stainless tubing, and drilled some holes through the top of the bumper. The tubing extends all the way into the bottom of the metal bumper. So it is welded at the top where it enters the bumper, and then again at the bottom where it hit the lower part of the bumper. If you have taken you bumper off and seen the metal inside, you will know what I am talking about. All the welding was done on the inside so it looks clean and feels pretty damn strong...

I will post some better pictures once I can find my digital camera, these are from my phone. :headbang:

If I want to go crazy... I am thinking 4/3 lift/ 27" tires and LSD.... but that is quite a bit of $$ in total... we will see.... :clap:

But I am enjoying the current ride, this winter has been great! cd45, the car is done and driving, the pics are from a week ago, I just can't seem to find my digital camera with the rest of the nice clean pictures on it.

I was trying to buy a plow from someone, but so far no luck.... that would be killer... :Flame: