Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Datsun Off road buggy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 The Beast I Drive

The Beast I Drive

CALL ME, (509) 391-5903

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
  • Toppenish, WA

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:07 PM

well, I need to make a test bed to try out my suspension ideas for my Brat project, so Im gonna make a tight little buggy with the drivetrain from my 72 Datsun wagon, since I have no title for it. Full tube frame, Toyota rear axle, Im gonna leave it 2 wheel drive, cuz I wanna keep it fairly simple. Custom A arm front independent suspension, custom Triangulated 4 link rear, 16.5 inch rims with 35 inch tires, stock 4 speed manual and 4 banger datsun motor. I wanna put 1 seat in the back, and its gonna be a little smaller in size than a Brat. Coil springs all around. And it's all gonna be built from crap I have layin around, with the exception of the Heim joints and the springs. Heres a rough sketch I did in Math class today :grin: :

Posted Image

#2 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,603 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:07 PM

looks good , if you get the weight towards the rear say have over 1/2 the weight on the rear it will go awesome, like a VW Baja bug or rail turning brakes are fun too I like the look hope it comes to fruition SJR

#3 The Beast I Drive

The Beast I Drive

CALL ME, (509) 391-5903

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
  • Toppenish, WA

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:14 PM

yeah, Im going to make it a front mid engine design, so almost all of the weight will be behind the centerline of the front wheels, hopefully making it handle better and be more stable. Im also going to make the drivetrain removable in minutes, so I can swap in whatever I want, which leaves it open for future upgrades :grin: . I wouldve gone with a Subaru drivetrain, but I wanted to test my suspension design for straight axle.

#4 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,760 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:13 AM

72, is that a 510?

#5 The Beast I Drive

The Beast I Drive

CALL ME, (509) 391-5903

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
  • Toppenish, WA

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:16 AM

the body is a wagon, I dont know what the engine is, I dont have a title for it, so i havent done anything to it other that try to make it run.

#6 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,760 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 20 January 2008 - 12:57 PM

Post a pic of it, if it is a 510, parts for those are hard to find, so you might be able to sell off some of the stuff you're not going to use for the buggy.

This is what a 510 wagon looks like:

Posted Image

#7 The Beast I Drive

The Beast I Drive

CALL ME, (509) 391-5903

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
  • Toppenish, WA

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:53 PM

that's exactly what mine looks like, but the whole passenger side is trashed, but all I plan on using for my buggy is the motor, tranny, steering column, and maybe the axle and driveshaft.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Basically the whole car minus motor tranny driveshaft rear axle and steering column can go.

#8 bmxanddie

bmxanddie

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:14 PM

do you still have that datsun? id like to buy the whole car if you do. Pm Me if you get a chance

#9 The Beast I Drive

The Beast I Drive

CALL ME, (509) 391-5903

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
  • Toppenish, WA

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:01 PM

yo you need to clear your inbox bmxandie, I cant PM you
-Bill

#10 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:46 PM

Yeah i suggest finding something else to build a buggy out of.

Thats a pretty rare car you got there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users