Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 OBW how many miles is too many?

I've got a 93 Legacy wagon with 180K on it, the clutch is going, the main switch is gone, the seat belt is busted. Of course, the engine seems strong.. :) I'm thinking instead of putting any more $$ into it, I should just get a cheap 2.2 soob with everything working. I've found a 95 OBW with 250K on it, but everything else is in good shape. The guys is asking $2200. I figure it's going to cost me nearly that to fix my car.

The 2.2 seems pretty reliable, but how many miles do you think they can carry before they're toast?

Thanks for the input.

I've got a 93 Legacy wagon with 180K on it, the clutch is going, the main switch is gone, the seat belt is busted. Of course, the engine seems strong.. :) I'm thinking instead of putting any more $$ into it, I should just get a cheap 2.2 soob with everything working. I've found a 95 OBW with 250K on it, but everything else is in good shape. The guys is asking $2200. I figure it's going to cost me nearly that to fix my car.

The 2.2 seems pretty reliable, but how many miles do you think they can carry before they're toast?

Thanks for the input.

i think 2200 is a little too much, i just got a 95 LS for 1600 with 161k on it

i think you can budge the guy down to 1500 even 1400

i was about to say that's way to high, they go much cheaper around here, but Denver looks to be a bit higher than here. that thing would never sell in a million years around here. around here there is no problem finding an EJ vehicle between $1,000 - $2,000 with 100k-150k on it, that's what i would want.

the EJ22 is a great motor but don't listen to those who will undoubtedly post "oh yeah, they're 400,000 mile motors" or "I know a guy with a half a million miles, you're only half way there".....don't listen to those anecdotal comments. not trying to be mean but the fact is that most 250,000 mile motors have more issues and are close to their end than not. it doesn't even matter how good the motor is, the pivotal points are how well was it maintained, was it ever overheated or run low on oil, how often was the oil changed....all of this for the entire 250,000 miles and 13 years...not just 249,000 miles or 12.9 years.....etc.

also - at high mileages if you want a reliable car, nearly everything needs attention. the entire timing belt system - belt, pulleys, tensioner, and water pump probably need inspected...and most of it probably needs replaced.

hope you're looking for a manual trans, which is likely since your old one was?

Thanks for the input.

i would put the $$ into your current ride. why buy something with 250k on the clock when yours only has 180k?

I've got a 95 LSi with 225,000 miles on it. It runs extremely smooth. I'm hoping to put another 50,000 miles on it. Still, the thing could blow up tomorow because w/ super high miles you never can tell.

As mentioned, maintenance would determne the life of it more than anything. I was lucky in that my 2.2 had been a one-owner before me and the guy was religious about maintenance until he got rid of the car. The 2.2 is a good engine, but in many ways I'm just reaping the benefits of years of this guy's solid maintenance and care.

I think $2200 is too high for a 13 yr old car w/ that many miles. The only way I might even consider it is if the car has an immaculate interior with leather ad sunroof and heated seats and all the goodies. Say what you will about engine/trans woes, the real pain of fixing up a car is redoing the interior.

If you like the 95's body style better, here's what I'd do: search ebay or classifieds and find a 2.5 Legacy wagon witha crapped out head gasket engine, buy that thing for less than a grand if the interior is sweet, and then put a low mileage 2.2 in it. I'm sure there's plenty of resources here to help w/ that. Then you have a nie ride for $2500 that will last you MUCH longer than that 95 for $2200.

Thanks for the input.

I vote for putting the money into your current ride. $2200 could do a lot of good for it. What are you possibly gaining by purchasing a high-mileage vehicle that will need the same maintenance dollars poured into it as your current ride?

Steve

Some excellent feedback guys, thanks!

Sounds like I should either talk him down or work on my car. The thing is, I have a day job now, and working on the car isn't as fun as it used to be. I figure paying someone to do the clutch will be around $700, the main switch will be $350 for labor and I can get a used switch for $35. I'd do that myself but pulling the steering wheel seems like too much time for me to get into.The electric seatbelt is busted and sucks anyway. If I replace that, it'll have to be with a manual belt. The replacements are rediculously expensive. It was actually my mechanic who prodded me to look into buying a new car instead of fixing up my current ride (the warpony). I figure if my mechanic tells me to look into other options when I've asked him to put in a bunch of work, I should listen to him!

I actually like the older body style better, except for the seatbelts. And as great as subaru automatics are, I'll be going for a 5 speed, it's just more fun! I'll most likley stick with a 2.2, as the headgasket problem with the 2.5 isn't worth it. Not to mention the mileage drop.

Has anyone here changed the clutch in their legacy wagon? How long would it take someone who hasn't done it before? I'm familiar with working on the car, just sick of doing it. Besides, it's been freakin' cold here.